Netduino CNC

baz

Netduino CNC

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:55 am

Hi,
This is a dedicated topic for the discussions started on my other topic http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=354 and also this topic http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=305
When my ShapeOko arrives I will start doing a bit more development hopefully with the help of John Cutburth and Darrin from the netduino forum http://forums.netduino.com/index.php?/t ... c-machine/ it would be nice if at some point a wiki page could be created on this topic, compiling all the current knowledge, coding and tips.
Many Thanks
Regards
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

baz

Re: Netduino CNC

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 am

So, to get the ball rolling :D ;
I have notice that John and Darrin are both using Netduino Plus (with the Ethernet IP communication) is this a necessity? Or can I just use a standard Netduino and adapt the code to communicate via USB?
Also if I was to purchase a Netduino Plus instead of the standard one do you think it’s worthwhile? (Do I really need SD cards, and Ethernet? I have an arduino and have never needed them)
Many Thanks in advance
Regards
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I have just started a wiki page http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... C#Netduino Feel free to change, edit, delete, add to, correct anything on the page and help creating it would be much appreciated :)
Many Thanks
Regards
Baz
MakerSlide Europe Store

JCPhlux

RE: Netduino CNC

Post by JCPhlux » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Baz, I have thought about doing the same with the network part. At one point I was thinking of making it work as an ardunio clone so that I could use the same software everyone is using.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:08 pm

John,
It's just I was wondering if I really needed a Netduino Plus (it's twice as expensive as the standard one) or could I adapt the code to transfer the data over serial USB connection. Is that possible? For me turning it into an arduino clone and using the existing software wouldn’t be that great, I wouldn’t have the great UI/interface that Darrin has created. The fact a good UI and control panel can be created was the main attraction for me, because the g-code sender everyone else is using is a bit simple and I was planning on having something a bit more like Mach 3. However if this idea of having the transfer over USB serial cant be done with Darrins code I could maybe create my own, but I would need a g-code library/interprit table to get me started. Is there such a thing?
Also, please change, edit, delete, add to, and correct anything on the wiki page.
Many Thanks
Baz
MakerSlide Europe Store

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 pm

I know that communication between the USB and the Netduino should not be an issue where the problem may be is creating an application that can send command over the USB to it. I am not sure what is entailed with creating an app the hardware talks to the hardware.

I did talk to some of the guys in the Netduino chat and I was told the best way to do this would be to get a USB 2.0 to UART TTL but the general consescis is if it is at all possible get the Netduino Plus because you will need it eventually.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Ok, It looks like I will probably have to get a Netduino Plus, to save myself a lot of hastle. Thanks for your help and advice.
Regards
baz
MakerSlide Europe Store

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm

That being said I ordered a few USB 2.0 to UART TTL to play with ;)
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:04 am

Opened up a new forum for this discussion. I'm sure you two won't be the last to go down this path.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:42 pm

LOL, lets put the 2 "Special kids" in a room by them self ;)

no just kidding Thanks Edward.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth