PCB Auto-Leveller for ShapeOko / TinyG

cvoinescu

Re: PCB Auto-Leveller for ShapeOko / TinyG

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Xaracen wrote:For example, grbl's planner is self contained and doesn't provide any reports on its progress, taking fresh commands from the serial input buffer as it clears enough room in the planner's own buffer, so it doesn't need any external (to grbl) management like flow-controlling input from the host computer based on monitoring queue sizes. As long as the sender doesn't continue to send commands to grbl's serial input buffer without having received an "ok" from grbl to the last command or block sent, it won't get into any difficulties.
Actually, you will run into difficulties. If you do that, the machine will stop after every move. This is what GRBL Controller did, initially, and there have been lots and lots of complaints about the machine being incredibly slow. Read script/stream.py that comes with GRBL source code, and also this post by the author of GRBL Controller. It's not terribly difficult to do the flow control correctly, but it's not quite as simple as waiting for "ok" after each command.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Xaracen

Post by Xaracen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks, for that Catalin, I was at least vaguely aware there was more to it, since in the UGS Command table view it is obvious that a lot more commands have been sent than are acknowledged with an "ok", though I didn't know that sticking rigidly to "ok" would have the impact you describe. I have a copy of the stream.py from your previous mention of it but haven't really studied it, yet. I'll be building a reasonably solid outline plan for what I'm doing before I start making any real changes.

But for now I'm really just reading and digesting and making notes.

The link to zapmaker.org was interesting, as was its own link to the stackoverflow.com item.
Shapeoko v1 #????
500mm Y-slides with dual Y-steppers
375mm dual X-axis gantry
150W DC ER11 Sable2015 spindle
conductive probe via spindle shaft/toolbit (can probe while spinning!)
Arduino Uno running grbl v0.9i with grblShield v4.

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Check out http://chilipeppr.com/jarret for a workspace that supports Grbl. Jarret Luft has made big progress in getting ChiliPeppr to work with Grbl.

jarretl

Post by jarretl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm

jlauer wrote:Check out http://chilipeppr.com/jarret for a workspace that supports Grbl. Jarret Luft has made big progress in getting ChiliPeppr to work with Grbl.
If anyone does try this out, maybe post any bug reports or issues you experience to the grbl chilipeppr topic http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3826 and we'll take a look. Still early days, but I have had success running some moderately sized gcode files on it without crashing/overbuffering, and should work for 0.8a through 0.9f currently.

-J.
Shapeoko 2 #4043; DW660

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I would love an auto level feature like this that works with Mach3. This would be a nice feature to have when milling aluminum parts from 2x2 foot sized plates that are not 100% level. With so many plugins for Mach3 you'd think you'd be able to find one, but I can't. :/

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm excited by the notion that ChiliPeppr has some features that surpass Mach3. Mach3 has been the gold standard for featuresets for many years. Let's keep going here with getting so much functionality available to the hobbyist that even Mach3 starts to get influenced by the hobbyist community.

Along these lines, i've been wondering if the community is seeking a touch probe? I think I could create an Arduino shield and touch probe for a retail price of $35. The touch probe would likely only have pressure sensing in the Z axis, not X or Y, to keep it simple.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:34 pm

jlauer wrote:I'm excited by the notion that ChiliPeppr has some features that surpass Mach3. Mach3 has been the gold standard for featuresets for many years. Let's keep going here with getting so much functionality available to the hobbyist that even Mach3 starts to get influenced by the hobbyist community.
Very true, I'm excited to see Chilipeppr grow and continue to get better. I'm definitely interested in building a little mini CNC for prototype PCB work since a particular product line that my studio is working on requires custom electronics. A friend of mine who is amazing at programing has agreed to make an auto-leveler probe feature as a plugin for Mach3. I would really love to have that plugin made since some of my studio's work involves cutting channels and grooves in .04" thick aluminum sheets and cutting straight through = FAIL.

My friend may offer it as a free plugin for everyone or charge like $5 for it, I guess it depends on him. I'd use Chilipeppr for my aluminum sheet needs but in its current form it's not nearly robust enough for what I would need and switching to TinyG from a Geck540 would be a downgrade. :(

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 pm

If your friend is going to do the auto-leveller, the hardest part was the raycasting math to find the point intersections on the warpage plane after you had your measurement coordinates. Three.js made it easier to pull off, but that did require having the Gcode rendered already to know all the XYZ values. Perhaps your friend makes the plugin to Mach3 using the ChiliPeppr widget embedded into Mach3 via a browser plugin. Not sure if Mach3 allows you to embed a browser. It would be interesting to see. You could make a new workspace called mach3autoleveller or something.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

jlauer wrote:If your friend is going to do the auto-leveller, the hardest part was the raycasting math to find the point intersections on the warpage plane after you had your measurement coordinates. Three.js made it easier to pull off, but that did require having the Gcode rendered already to know all the XYZ values. Perhaps your friend makes the plugin to Mach3 using the ChiliPeppr widget embedded into Mach3 via a browser plugin. Not sure if Mach3 allows you to embed a browser. It would be interesting to see. You could make a new workspace called mach3autoleveller or something.
That would be very interesting to see. I'll definitely let him know. Would you be available for future questions and advice on a Mach 3 version of the auto-leveler?

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 pm

For sure. Sounds interesting.