Any advice on what's wrong here?

pascualfuentes

Any advice on what's wrong here?

Post by pascualfuentes » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:10 am

Hi, I'm currently using a full stock shapeoko 2 with 30 degree 0.2 mm V-bits. I'm using Altium for PCB design and CamBam to generate my gcode. In CamBam, I'm doing a outside profile cut with a target depth of 0.23mm, cut feedrate at 200, and tool diameter set to 0.25mm (extra mm to compensate). After three attempts, each one getting slightly better after messing with the feedrate, tool diameter and tightening the belts on my X and Y, I still end up with my traces looking something like this:
Singer_V2_Issues.PNG
Singer_V2_Issues.PNG (466.88 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
My X and Y seems to be cutting through the same path as it before, leaving a very thin trace, if any at all. I even thickened my traces in the PCB design to see if that would result in a thicker trace, yet no success. Some traces come out fine, but there still seems to be a lot of inaccuracy. Are there any settings I'm missing? Any steps I should take? Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. I recently ordered 0.3 mm end mills after seeing the success people have been having with them.

Dhpenner1

Re: Any advice on what's wrong here?

Post by Dhpenner1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:01 am

Without seeing machine settings, Id guess it's a travel/ revolution problem.

cvoinescu

Re: Any advice on what's wrong here?

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:27 am

It looks very much like missed steps to me, or a lot of backlash (a very loose belt, or a loose set screw on a belt pulley).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk