Confused about the G54 command for resetting home position

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
ptchan5

Re: Confused about the G54 command for resetting home positi

Post by ptchan5 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 pm

chamnit wrote:To be clear, CarbideMotion supports a single work coordinate system and allows you to set the G54(default) work coordinate offsets through its zeroing interface. It just prevents you from altering and using the others.

I think the argument here is whether or not additional work coordinate systems are useful for most users. Typically multiple systems are only used by more advanced users when they are doing production jobs. If that's the case, there are plenty of good Grbl senders available to give you that capability.

In terms of simplicity, CarbideMotion is a lot less fear-inducing to a new user than the glut of (awesome) features available in bCNC, which I would only recommend to users who have some CNC experience.
Chamnit, so I'm clear. Carbide Motion sets the G54, but can I set that using the G10 command? Would this workflow work?

Scenario: I want to have a repeatable start point for a program I created in cam bam or any other CNC draw software. This start point could serve two purposes. 1) The machine glitches somewhere in the middle of the program and I have to restart, 2) I have multiple productions I want cut. The 0,0,0 alignment of the drawing or stock material I'm cutting is the bottom left corner.

Workflow:
1. Turn on SO3 machine.
2. Enter $h command in MDI window to home machine (back right corner; assume you have homing kit)
3. jog machine to desired repeatable start position (place where you'll put the bottom-left-top corner of the stock upon setup)
4. Enter /G10 P2 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 in MDI window to set a WCS position (G55)
5. Enter /G10 P1 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 in MDI window to set the default (G54) position

By doing step #5, am I in affect hitting the "zero all axis" in Carbide Motion. Even though the carbide motion window does not show the X,Y,Z to be zero, does the program think it's zero in memory and aligns the program correctly?

My current workflow has me turning the machine off and on in order to use the zeroing button in carbide motion, because seeing the zero's in the three axis makes me feel comfortable G54 is correctly set. But it would nice to just do it via the MDI window without power cycling.

Peter

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon May 16, 2016 5:18 pm

You can't use G54 w/ Carbide Motion --- it apparently uses it internally for maintaining machine position information

the other coordinate systems aren't really supported in CM either --- use bCNC, UGS, or some other tool which does support them.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ptchan5

Post by ptchan5 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Ok, so my turning off the machine between running $h, one of my WCS preset, and zero'ing CM is a possible workaround.

You've answered my question. Thanks as always Will. Going to give bCNC a try. It looks good.

Peter

gobees81

Re: Confused about the G54 command for resetting home position

Post by gobees81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:38 pm

I know this is an old post but bear with me. Fusion sends a G54 code to carbide motion. Does carbide motion ignore that or does it create problems for the milling?