Why GRBL?

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
sparr

Why GRBL?

Post by sparr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm

I am inclined to use a firmware like Marlin which I am more familiar with. Why GRBL?

Godsplan

Re: Why GRBL?

Post by Godsplan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:25 pm

• easy to use
    free
    configurable
    runs with arduino
thats the reasons why i'm using it

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Same reasons apply to Marlin. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

calica

Post by calica » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 am

Arc support? I thought the reprap firmwares only support linear moves. What about probing? I remember that being on the grbl todo.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 am

I'm not advocating Marlin (which supports arcs, as far as I know). I'm just saying that that particular list of reasons applies to Marlin as well as GRBL. I prefer GRBL for milling (and I'd use TinyG if I had the board).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ejs

Post by ejs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Ultimately, many three axis robots are based on early GRBL, including RAMPS and the lasersaur project.

For me, I prefer subtractive tech more than additive. Working through a setup without the problem of parsing out what isn't needed and without the added extruder motor makes sense to me. GRBL on an Arduino UNO is about the simplest and least expensive way to get started with a three axis setup, coming in at about half what a RAMPS driver kit will cost. But if you can get it working with what you have on hand, great! I hope you will post the steps involved on the forums.

As for arcs, you can configure GRBL to cut to divide circles and arcs to lines fractions of a millimeter long. Not as elegant, but as the GRBL site puts is "are you in nanotech?". I've never been able to tell my circles aren't circles, even on small diameter plunges.

~EJ
Build it better than it was built for you. And give permission for the next guy to do the same. That's how Open Source works.
ShapeOko # 497: http://bit.ly/reactshop producing the Buildlog CNC Stepper Shield