External Reset Button for GRBL Shield

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
will1384

Re: External Reset Button for GRBL Shield

Post by will1384 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:38 am

turtle13 wrote:sorry i should have been more specific. I got a screw shield for the limit switches, can the reset also be hooked up through the screwshield via pins on the screw shield?
#edit#
so correct me if i am wrong, but for an external reset switch, I would simply run a momentary switch between A0 and ground?
My understanding from some Google searching, is that there is a hard-reset and soft-reset, I believe soft-reset re-initializes GRBL but not the Arduino UNO, and keeps the home position and work coordinates, the hard-reset resets everything.

Have a look:

https://github.com/grbl/grbl
http://zapmaker.org/projects/grbl-contr ... n-options/

and do a keyword search for reset

I have both a hard-reset and soft-reset on my CNC control box using arcade push buttons, and I am using a screw shield to attach them.

scott216

Post by scott216 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:29 pm

So what's the recommendation for an emergency stop push-button with Grbl shield :
- Disconnect power to Grbl shield
- Connect to A0 (soft reset)
- Connect to Arduino Reset (hard reset)
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

gjbroom

Post by gjbroom » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:45 am

scott216 wrote:So what's the recommendation for an emergency stop push-button with Grbl shield :
- Disconnect power to Grbl shield
- Connect to A0 (soft reset)
- Connect to Arduino Reset (hard reset)
I have my E-stop wired to disconnect the 24V feeding the steppers. I am considering moving it to the Arduino reset when I rewire my endstops during my 0.9a->0.9g upgrade, hoping that the Arduino reset will also kill the PWM to the BLDC spindle (once I convert from manual to machine control, which requires moving the Z endstop from D11 to D12). Right now if I hit the E-stop, all motion stops but the spindle is still spinning. In my opinion, hard reset sounds like the best option.
ShapeOko1 #443, doubled X gantry + driveshaft Y, ShapeOko2-style Z, open-end mounts, Inventables DC spindle, limit switches
GRBL 0.9j and ChiliPeppr

HPGreyling

Post by HPGreyling » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:53 am

My e- stop is wired that it cuts power to all the power supplies, effectively killing everything except the arduino which is powered by the usb port

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:11 pm

A typical inexpensive e-stop has two sections, one NO and one NC. You can continue to use the NC to cut power to the motors, and use the NO to reset the Arduino. Or you can buy another one and, out of the two, make one with two NC sections, one for the motor power supply, the other for the spindle power supply. (You can also cut the mains supply, but I'd avoid doing more than strictly necessary with mains voltage.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk