Newb questions - z-axis response

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
Daki

Newb questions - z-axis response

Post by Daki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:05 am

Hello all, I will apologize in advance if this is an easy fix but I need help ...

I bought a grblshield board back in Nov of last year and I am just getting started with it. I currently only have one stepper motor. When I wire it up to the x-axis and enter in X10, it spins the shaft. Then I rewired it to the y axis, typed in Y10 and it spun the shaft again. I repeated the process one more time and wired it up to the z-axis, entered Z10 ... no movement. The green LED's on the board light up but the motor shaft does not rotate.

So when I was checking that the four wires from the motor were connected nice and snug to the z-axis terminals I just happened to notice a tiny little orange rectangular thing on the board right by where the z-axis terminals are, that looks a little bit cracked :shock: I have no idea how it could have gotten cracked as the box that it shipped in looks pristine, it was in bubble wrap and I have been nothing short of uber gentle/careful when handling it.

There seems to be some text ontop of the orange rectangular thing but it is too small for me to read it. On the circuit board itself it says J2 and J3 just above it, and C1 just below it. Does anyone know if that cracked little orange thing has anything to do with not getting a response out of the z-axis?

I have a picture but I am not familiar on how to post it here (sorry new to forums as well ... dinosaur)

Thank you, D
Shapeoko #1895 ... to be assembled!

Daki

Re: Newb questions - z-axis response

Post by Daki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:08 am

IMG_5171a.jpg
IMG_5171a.jpg (241.98 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
does this work for attaching the picture?

Thanks, D

bobt

Post by bobt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Just a quick note: That is in fact a cracked capacitor. It appears that it might have been cracked at installation. Check back with the place you purchased it from and see what their return policy is.

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

Daki

Post by Daki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Bob, is it related to my z-axis problem?

Thanks,
D

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:41 pm

...is it related to my z-axis problem?
It could be. That’s the 5V bulk storage cap. If the 5V is dipping when the Z axis is commanded it could give trouble. Also it could be now more a resistor than a cap since its broke. I would take a picture of it for proof that you got it this way and then try to get it off. A soldering iron would be good to have about now. If you don't have that then you might be able to cut it away or in two piece such that they don't touch. That will remove the resistive load (if any) on the 5V. If you're in the States, Radio Shack would have something that you could put there. You want 10uF/10V or greater would give you some margin.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

Daki

Post by Daki » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 am

Is there any way to tell for sure it is at the root of the cause of my z axis problem? Is there some test I could run (keeping in mind I still only have one stepper motor currently)?

It is so tiny that I would be very hesitant to try and remove it or cut it off. My soldering skills are nowhere near that good.

Thanks,
D

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 am

Isn't it potentially damaging to the steppers to power them w/o a motor attached?

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... er_Drivers
Stepper drivers are fragile. Never power on a driver that does not have a motor connected to it. If you do, the driver chip can be damaged or destroyed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 am

WillAdams wrote:Isn't it potentially damaging to the steppers to power them w/o a motor attached?
Not really, it's quite safe to do power them up without motors. However, some (especially the A4988) break really easily if you connect or disconnect the motors while powered up, so that's a really bad idea.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 am

Okay, changed the wording to:
Stepper drivers are fragile. Never power on a driver connected to a motor that does not have a secure connection throughout the entire possible range of motion. If you do, the driver chip can be damaged or destroyed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:25 pm

My brain prefers things like this a little more terse.

May I sugggest:
Warning:

NEVER connect or disconnect motors while power is applied.
ALWAYS insure motors will have electrical connection throughout the possible range of motion.

OR ELSE motor drivers can be destroyed
or something like this that I can digest quickly.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660