Adding Hardcoded Z Feed Rate to 0.8c possible ?

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
Kayle

Adding Hardcoded Z Feed Rate to 0.8c possible ?

Post by Kayle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:28 am

Hello,

First i want to say hello because i am new here. My Name is Kay and i came from Germany. I use an eshapeoko with tb6560 stepper driver and grbl 0.8c.

The well known problem with the same feedrates makes the work with grbl not really fast because i have to use a feedrate of 200 max :(

The new 0.9 have still bugs and so i will try to get the 0.8c work with a hardcoded z feedrate.

Is there anybody on this forum who can help me with this project ?

Greetings
Kay

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Adding Hardcoded Z Feed Rate to 0.8c possible ?

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Some Communication / Control programs can set a hard-coded max. feed rate for the Z-axis --- e.g., Grbl Controller, see ``Z-rate limiting'' here: http://zapmaker.org/projects/grbl-contr ... r-options/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Kayle

Re: AW: Adding Hardcoded Z Feed Rate to 0.8c possible ?

Post by Kayle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 pm

WillAdams wrote:Some Communication / Control programs can set a hard-coded max. feed rate for the Z-axis --- e.g., Grbl Controller, see ``Z-rate limiting'' here: http://zapmaker.org/projects/grbl-contr ... r-options/
Thank you. I will try it.

Oud

Post by Oud » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 am

I still use 0.8c and have been hesitant to upgrade to 0.9 until it is out in a more stable release. What I've been doing to work around this issue is:

1)Open the gcode file in scite (or any other decent plain text editor)
2)If you have your safety height set for say 0.1" there will be a lot of lines that say "G0 Z0.1"
3)Do a find all and replace of "G0 Z0.1" and replace it with "G1 Z0.1 F6"

If you have a long travel on the x or the y a line or two that has "G1 X..." or "G1 Y..." and add F and your working feedrate to the end of that line. Which will set the feed rate to the working feedrate rather than 6 inches per minute

Always test your g code afterwards just to be safe. I've found if you have the .nc/.gcode file open to edit when your bring it into openscam it glitches it out. So make sure you close the text editor before opening the file in openscam =]

Hope that helps.
Stock Shapeoko2, First pre-order batch.

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 pm

I do approximately the same thing. I generate my gcode normally, then open it in Notepad++ and run a search and replace for the regex 'G00Z([\d\.]+)' with 'G01Z\1F200'. This depends a little bit on the way my gcode is generated. (I already limit Z feed to between 200-260 mm/min, and each command includes an explicit G00/G01 mode command, and each G01 command includes an explicit Fnnnn feed rate, so changing a Z line does not affect the speed of other lines.) The thing that bit me when I first tried this was that F speed commands are ignored for G00 mode movements...