Clarification of the buttons in UGS

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
awesomename

Clarification of the buttons in UGS

Post by awesomename » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm having a hard time, and maybe it's just me, but there seems to be an issue with my universal G code sender software. I have the latest version. When I run a job, after it finishes, shouldn't I be able to hit "return to zero" and have it go back to my start zero position from before job?

I want to be able to set a zero, run a g code for drilling a securing hole in the material I'm cutting, then screw down, hit return to zero, and run the second set of g code. is this not possible? is there another button that "returns to home/zero"?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Clarification of the buttons in UGS

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:55 pm

I don't know if that's so much a problem w/ UGS as it is w/ the Arduino and the PC disagreeing on USB connectivity.

I've often found that it was best to:

- include a command to go home at the end of a G-Code file
- close the connection
- Quit out of the communication program
- reload the communication program
- re-open the connection
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:16 pm

WillAdams wrote:I don't know if that's so much a problem w/ UGS as it is w/ the Arduino and the PC disagreeing on USB connectivity.

I've often found that it was best to:

- include a command to go home at the end of a G-Code file
- close the connection
- Quit out of the communication program
- reload the communication program
- re-open the connection
Forgive me for being naive but, I'm still trying to understand how to get back to my absolute zero or start position from the first job, before running the second. Lets say I also had to do a tool change. would I need to manually line up again?

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I usually home my machine first, then move it to where it needs to be fore the work piece and zero it. That I can start over again more or less in a "okay, I homed it, then moved it +59 on Y, +34 on X, -21 on Z before I zeroed it".

I'm sure there are better or more automatic methods, but I just keep a dry erase board above my machine to pencil down the numbers before I hit Run on any job.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 pm

awesomename wrote: Forgive me for being naive but, I'm still trying to understand how to get back to my absolute zero or start position from the first job, before running the second. Lets say I also had to do a tool change. would I need to manually line up again?
The way I do it is:

- edit my G-Code to have G0 X0 Y0 Z0 at the end
- while the machine is still powered: swap the bit
- disconnect as described above
- adjust the machine vertically until the Z is back to the zero point
- power things back up and resume running

This burlesque is necessary 'cause I don't have home or limit switches --- implementing them is working its way up my priority list.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:58 pm

I can not recommend limit switches highly enough. It has totally changed my workflow for the better.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... te_Systems
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:25 pm

twforeman wrote:I can not recommend limit switches highly enough. It has totally changed my workflow for the better.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... te_Systems
I was hoping to find a step by step tutorial that goes over wiring and setting limit switches up..but can't find one.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Wow, that's pretty sparse on the Wiki. http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Home_switches

I guess I know what my next Wiki update should be.

I'll see if I can get some stuff knocked out this weekend for it.

Edited to add: I see there are two sections on the Wiki - this one has more info http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Limit_Switches
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

dataway

Post by dataway » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Limit switches are the way to go to get the homing in place then you just issue a $H to the GRBL shield after making a tool change and you are good to go.

This is the thread I used which had a good wiring diagram for mechanical limit/homing switches.

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... tch#p10207

I only have mine setup for homing and not using them as limit switches so I only have 1 switch on each of the Axis.
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.