Hello world writes the letter on top of each other

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
steev

Hello world writes the letter on top of each other

Post by steev » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:06 am

Hello,
I ran the hello world last night and the sharpie essentially wrote the letters on each other, with barely any travel on the x axis. Pardon if this has already been covered, but I did not find it in the forums.

I can manually move everything in any direction without issue. So I was assuming it was a GRBL issue.

Thanks
Steve

unicornswag

Re: Hello world writes the letter on top of each other

Post by unicornswag » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 am

It's a little hard to say based on your description of the issue, but if I had to guess, I would say it sounds more like an issue with your CAM settings during G-code generation. What CAM tool are you using? It might be set to cut multiple shallow passes to the finished depth. Maybe post the raw G-code here so the proper toolpath can be determined.

crazeegeek

Post by crazeegeek » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 am

When you say manually in any direction do you mean physically move it by hand or by sending jogging commands? If you are moving it physically by hand but not getting any movement on the X axis when running Hello Word, then check your belt tension and wiring for that axis.

I'm guessing as well, but your description does sound like you either have a bad wiring, not enough current to that stepper, or the belt is slipping.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 am

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... rmittently

Things to check:

- set/grub screw on pulley
- belt tension
- wiring for continuity --- is the X-axis motor turning?

Also check the current on your gShield for all axes: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... or_Current (and the following section) -- I had similar difficulties when my stepper drivers were overheating, so a fan may help as well.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

steev

Post by steev » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:26 am

Unicorn swag. I am just using the gecode sender from the instructions. This is the hello world from the site.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:00 pm

A picture of the outcome would be very helpful in diagnosing your problem. Also, a dump of the GRBL settings. A video (with sound) may allow us an even better diagnosis, if that's not too much to ask.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 pm

It can't be mechanical alone, nor wiring, if it seems to work OK, it has to be programming. If you've output the g code from something sensible and not tweaked it, it is a speed and acceleration issue.

Most likely the axis is simply stalling under rapids, which you've set too high, & cuts/draws fine under the much slower cutting moves.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 pm

That's what I suspect too, but without seeing the result, I have to make assumptions about what exactly "essentially [...] on each other" means.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

steev

Post by steev » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:43 pm

So I updated to the latest Java (7) and gcode sender, and it worked. It's upside down and printing from right to left, but at least it reads shapeoko.