Is my uno/gshield dying?

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
awesomename

Is my uno/gshield dying?

Post by awesomename » Sun May 11, 2014 10:25 pm

So it seems that there is something going on with my uno/gshieldv5 combo.

Every job I run in the last week does the same thing, at some point or another, it will overplunge on the z by about .25 to .5inches and start trying to rip away .

I have verified that the g code seems to look fine but I can't get through a single job without this happening . I flashed .8c again to the uno but the problem persists.

I am using Meshcam v5 and v6

any ideas?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Is my uno/gshield dying?

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Have you adjusted the current of your Z-axis?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 pm

To go along with WillAdams, it could be a couple of simple things:

-The acceleration on your z-axis is too fast (depending what version of grbl you have, your z-axis acceleration may be tied to the x and y as well). If the stepper motor tries to raise the z-axis too fast, often times
things will bind and seize. So it thinks it moved it up the full amount, but maybe it moved 20% of the way and seized. Next time it plunges, the z-axis won't be as high as it should be, thus it'll plunge way too deep. Also check to make sure that your z-axis threaded rod is not wobbling as it spins. If it wobbles, then something is either bent or not lined up straight-- both of which cause more friction issues and can lead to seizing

-The current going to your z-axis is too low. Not enough power to move your spindle up (unlikely, but possible)

-More likely than low current, the current/trim pot setting is too high. Your z-axis is overheating and going randomly into thermal shutdown (to protect itself) and missing steps.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 pm

What Schruminator said: your Z axis does not over-plunge, it under-retracts. This could be due to too little current, or too much current with too little cooling causing thermal shutdown, or mechanical problems (too much friction).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 pm

This is definitely what it was! Is there a way to independently control the z axis speed on retracts?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Not that I've seen. There are some Communication / Control programs which will limit all Z-axis moves --- different speeds for up/down would be an interesting request.

One could manually edit G-Code and always use G1 moves, setting the F value to the desired speed though.

I don't think that you want your acceleration set so close to the limit that whether or not the machine is going up/down results in different behaviour --- instead, you should adjust your current so that both directions work reliably.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 pm

I will try adjusting the pot tonight. I was able to max out around 750mm/min before the z started binding. I was hoping to run around 5000mm/min on x and y

Not a huge deal since I am cannibalizing my shapeoko for another, bigger and stronger build and will be using the USB CNC mk2/4 controller soon.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 pm

GRBL 0.9 will allow you to set the traverse speeds separately on X, Y and Z.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Adjusting the pot is a balancing act-- you want more current to try and muscle through things, but too much current and you'll overheat the stepper motors and they'll shut down for short periods of time to cool off-- and when they do that you'll miss steps and have even more problems.

Find the sweet spot on the pot adjustments and then you'll just have to tone down your z-axis acceleration settings and live with that until you upgrade hardware/software/firmware in the future.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com