I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
DerekMellott

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Post by DerekMellott » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:10 pm

I have been trying to run my shapeoko for 3 days now and I'm about ready to start breaking things.

I'm not completely new to this sort of thing, I own a makerbot, but I can not figure any of this out. The wiki documentation so incomplete it isn't funny, if you look at this page none of the sections finish I feel like someone is laughing at me. http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... build_grbl In the last section it is talking about modifying the config.h file by scrolling down to the pin info but it doesn't tell you what to do, there is no info on what to do. After you read though everything it doesn't even tell you how to compile it which is supposed to be the whole point of the page. And everywhere grbl is linked to is a dead link.

I have my unit built and all electronics hooked up, I'm using a modified grblshield v2. I can not load grbl onto my uno, so everything i'm doing is just trying to get to that point, I cant figure out how to compile it and the pre compiled ones will not load with xloader or arduinouploader. I have spent more time trying to load this then I did building the rest of the system.

If anyone can help me with this I would be eternally grateful.

potatotron

Re: I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Post by potatotron » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:11 pm

What settings are you using when you try to use xloader? What error(s) does it give?

DerekMellott

Post by DerekMellott » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:14 pm

potatotron wrote:What settings are you using when you try to use xloader? What error(s) does it give?
I've selected the uno and the correct com port (4) and changed the baud rate to 57600, no error comes it just freezes after it says uploading.

potatotron

Post by potatotron » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Try changing the baud rate to 115200

DerekMellott

Post by DerekMellott » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:23 pm

potatotron wrote:Try changing the baud rate to 115200
That seemed to have worked, now to see if i can get some commands to work.
Thank you.

potatotron

Post by potatotron » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Great news. Good luck with your project!

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Also, add what worked for you to the wiki, it'll help the next person to figure out what is happening :)

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:15 pm

This seems to be a known issue and is already discussed in this thread. As for the wiki, it is pretty decent I think. If anyone thinks it is missing parts, they should add to it. It is only as good as the community makes it.

Redpaw_Designs

Post by Redpaw_Designs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 am

DerekMellott wrote:I have been trying to run my shapeoko for 3 days now and I'm about ready to start breaking things.

I'm not completely new to this sort of thing, I own a makerbot, but I can not figure any of this out. The wiki documentation so incomplete it isn't funny, if you look at this page none of the sections finish I feel like someone is laughing at me. http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... build_grbl In the last section it is talking about modifying the config.h file by scrolling down to the pin info but it doesn't tell you what to do, there is no info on what to do. After you read though everything it doesn't even tell you how to compile it which is supposed to be the whole point of the page. And everywhere grbl is linked to is a dead link.

I have my unit built and all electronics hooked up, I'm using a modified grblshield v2. I can not load grbl onto my uno, so everything i'm doing is just trying to get to that point, I cant figure out how to compile it and the pre compiled ones will not load with xloader or arduinouploader. I have spent more time trying to load this then I did building the rest of the system.

If anyone can help me with this I would be eternally grateful.
…and I thought I was alone in thinking the way you do. I had two machinists standing over me and we were trying to decipher how a person can start to explain something in great detail and yet provide no information about what the intended subject is or was.

There is no complete single page basic walkthrough anywhere, one page gets you started and then references further discussion elsewhere ( that really doesn't cover the subject matter ) and then by the time you realize you just wasted 10 minutes figuring out you've been duped again, you fall back to the previously open tab to find that the more you read, the less info is told and theres more links to mundane suggestions that have no cohesion to the steps or steps you are there to really read about.

I still can't understand how the shapeoko hex file v.8 can give grbl command lines that are incomplete and inaccurate and need to be additionally tweaked, and the methods to tweak the parameters are so weakly explained and incomplete that…. this is day 8 of trying to get a 100 x 100 basic gcode file to cut from maker cam, easel, or inkscape….that doesn't run my gantry off the rails.

…and they expect a new user to contribute to the mess called wiki?….what, is the new user allowed to just bulldoze it all under, and declare it a waste of diatribe and mere suggestions?….every $1= command mod i try, even direct from wiki doesn't work, and thats line for line.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am

We don't take dissing the wiki very well. It is not the best way to start when you ask for help: "hey, your work is crap, now help me".

No.

There are around 8000 Shapeokos, and gShield/grblShield + Uno with GRBL is, by far, the most popular choice of control electronics. Do you really think thousands of users are using their machines as doorstops because the instructions are so bad, and nobody is doing anything about it?

It would be very helpful if you could explain what wiki pages you read, what the inaccuracies were, what parameters you are talking about, and why you want to edit config.h in the first place. Without that, simply saying "wiki is bad" won't make it better.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk