Upgraded .8 to .9G and loads of problems

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
HPGreyling

Re: Upgraded .8 to .9G and loads of problems

Post by HPGreyling » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Hats off to you for upgrading.

I also need to upgrade but the wikis are so confusing I am scared to venture it.

Is there nowhere a simple 1 page instruction list?

Which spells out exactly where do I fing the update file, steps of loading/ flashing it and finally configuring it? Jumping between multiple pages is frustrating

cclontz

Post by cclontz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:02 pm

HPGreyling wrote:Hats off to you for upgrading.

I also need to upgrade but the wikis are so confusing I am scared to venture it.

Is there nowhere a simple 1 page instruction list?

Which spells out exactly where do I fing the update file, steps of loading/ flashing it and finally configuring it? Jumping between multiple pages is frustrating
I actually found the upgrade process to be simple and painless. Start here http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5279 and one of the links will take you to this set up instructions https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Flash ... an-Arduino

I had other issues with my machine. The only caveat to the upgrade that I am aware of is that if (like me) you use Makercam, it adds G20 G90 G40 on one line. Since GRBL does not support the G40, the whole line is ignored which means that the G20 and G90 are not set. This caused me some grief. I now manually edit my Makercam gcode files and remove the G40 before sending them to the Shapeoko. No big deal at all considering how well .9 works.

Good luck.

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:14 pm

.. and don't forget to update your communication rate from 9600 baud-- otherwise, as cclontz said, it's pretty painless. I think it took me 10 minutes to do, then another 10 to pop in my original settings.

Also, make sure and write down ALL of your settings on 0.8 before you move on-- that is, write down the description, not just the number ($2=..., $10=..., etc) as the number locations between 0.8 and 0.9 change ($10 on 0.8 isn't necessarily $10 on 0.9, etc). In addition 0.9 inserts default values for every setting anyways. It's just as easy to change and tune as 0.8-- as long as you have them written down somewhere.

Take your time and double check your notes-- but it should be pretty simple overall.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

HPGreyling

Post by HPGreyling » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks guys.

Cclontz that topic just illustrates tha I am not the only one battling with the instructions. seeing that english is not my first language and some of the meaning of words get confusing.

Will give it a try

HPGreyling

Post by HPGreyling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:55 am

I did it! Grb 0.9g is running. Thanks to a lot of reading , trying to make sense of what is being said, the advice on the forum and my SO2.

For the guys that are noobs and not really interested in coding and are using Windows here are my simpkified steps into upgrading from0.8c to 0.9g:

1. Make a copy of your current settings. I simply took a photo of my screen showing the settings ($$).
2. Made certain I knew which port my SO was running on.
3. Downloaded the hex file from github for the SO2, I am presuming you have a stock setup.
4. Download XLoader also from github and extracted the file.
5. Started running XLoader . Input your , processor ( arduino uno), comport and the destination of where you put the saved hex file for the SO2 and hit start. Shou
d start and be finished in few seconds with a message 28030 bits transferred.
6. Close xloader and open your grbl controller and connect at 115000 baud and NOT 9600. You should see that is has 0.9g loaded.
7. Ensure your axis are still working correctly. 2 of my axis were suddenly reversed. Use the wiki for configuring them .
8. Check that your settings have not changed by using your photo from step 1. If you used the stock SO2 hex file the only issues I had were my inverted axis.

This should get you setup. Hope it helps.