In a bad place NEED HELP!

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
chamnit

Re: In a bad place NEED HELP!

Post by chamnit » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm

It sounds like XLoader screwed up your boot loader. You may need to figure out a way to re-install the boot loader onto your Arduino. It's easy if you have an AVR ISP programmer, but these are expensive and most people don't have them. I do recall seeing that there was a way to do it with a spare Arduino. You basically program it to act like the ISP programmer. Just did a quick search. Here's a link on how to do it. (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP)

Once you have the spare Arduino connected as an ISP programmer, you just need to click the Tools->Burn Bootloader in the Arduino IDE to re-burn the boot loader.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Could an Arduino Leonardo be configured for this?

If so, I've got one to spare, could set it up, work up some suitable wiring and we could ship it around as-needed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:33 pm

There's no reason that it shouldn't work on an Leonardo. The ArduinoISP is a standard IDE sketch and states "non-Mega" and "Mega" pin schematics in the example. Meaning that it should work on just about any Arduino

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Okay, Thanks!

Kojo-jojo --- if you can't source an Arduino, I could prep a Leonardo I have, package it up w/ the wires (and some other stuff I need to ship out) and send it to you to use w/ the understand that you would in turn ship it on request to the next person this happens to (or return it to me should that drag out too long).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

mikenmel08

Post by mikenmel08 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:54 pm

Not trying to be negative here but I think it should be returned to you Will....There are not many people here that are more active in this forum.....What I mean is you would know if someone else needed it alot faster than most people.....Thanks for your help in the past
Shapeoko 2 #8233

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:28 pm

+1 for the Arduino-as-ISP method, I've used it before and it works. (I have since acquired a "proper" AVR ISP programmer.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 am

I also +1 the ArduinoISP method. It saved my bacon when I managed to futz my original Arduino. I thought it was dead, but tried this and it works fine again now.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 pm

The Adafruit ISP works great. I have used it many times burning bootloaders onto blank 328s. They also have an Arduino version now which will pretty much do what you are about to do, but without the breadboard.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log