Acessing A5 pin for probing when using gshield

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
ijv

Acessing A5 pin for probing when using gshield

Post by ijv » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:37 am

Hi All,

I'm using grbl with a V5 gshield and I want to implement a simple touch plate using grbls probing features.

Buuuuttt... when I tried to access the A5 pin I found that it was pretty much inaccessible due to the X-axis screw terminals and wiring to the stepper completing covering that pin.

Is there any elegant way to get access to the A5 pin when using gshield? What have other people done?

Thanks,
ijv

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Acessing A5 pin for probing when using gshield

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:20 am

I suspect that the best way to get at this would be to use a shield in between the two components you have.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ijv

Post by ijv » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:59 am

I suspect you're right. But using a shield with all the headers seems like a bit of a waste for only 2 connections

onekk

Post by onekk » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Giving a quick look at the schematics, i Think the J6 connector is a replication of the j5 and you can solder a L strip and connect the wires using some dupont connector on it or maybe simply solder two cables and wire them on a little 3.5mm jack on the panel of the controller.

Say:

Code: Select all

----------   <- PCB Board 
             L  <- L strip soldered under the board from wich you will attach the dupont 

Hoping it will help

Bye

Carlo D.

bengtec

Post by bengtec » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:20 pm

I was just working on an enclosure, and expanding the electronics from the bare minimum and here is my solution:

I think its pretty much what @onekk suggested, as the connectors will only connect to the long side of the header pins I soldered an L and a straight header together. The analog pins connect straight to the arduino, the others are soldered to the spare holes on the gshield. I may have gone a bit overboard and added headers for pins I don't ever need access to, but figured as i was doing it now I may as well make everything available.

The extra, blue, wire is because I messed up and overheated the gshield on that pin. I haven't soldered in years, lets hope I didn't do any serious damage!
Attachments
3.jpg
The connector on the other side with the cable connected
3.jpg (278.27 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
2.jpg
The analog connector removed
2.jpg (289.81 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
1.jpg
The analog connector in place
1.jpg (299.5 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Ben
Stock SO2 #7722, Dremel 3000, Arduino Uno, G-shield, GRBL 0.9g
Rhino>CamBam>Raspberry Pi with GRBLWeb

onekk

Post by onekk » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:26 pm

That was exactly the solution I have in mind.

A little question, is your shield using some filtering on the limit an probe pins.

Regards

Carlo D.

bengtec

Post by bengtec » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:26 pm

mine? not yet its just a standard gshield from inventables with the headers soldered on. I haven't properly set it up yet on the machine with limits and probe, but i have tested it to make sure its working and i havent broken anything, but i thought i would try without filtering for now, if I have to add resistors later i already have all the parts soldered onto the board, i just need to connect them up.
Ben
Stock SO2 #7722, Dremel 3000, Arduino Uno, G-shield, GRBL 0.9g
Rhino>CamBam>Raspberry Pi with GRBLWeb

ijv

Post by ijv » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:29 am

Your photos gave me an idea.

I didn't want to desolder the Arduino header pins. So I took a female header block, stuck its pins into the existing analog header block and bent them to a right angle. I then insulated the exposed bits of the pins with some heat shrink. The results look similar to your photos as the new header block sits just underneath the wiring connecting to the stepper motor terminal blocks, where the Arduino analog pins are now accessible.

End result, my new touch plate, a piece of PCB board works a treat.

ijv

Post by ijv » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:31 am

Actually, on closer inspection of the 2nd photo, I did, just what bengtec did, except that I used female headers instead of male.