GRBL Freezes while sending a file

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
Will Winder

Re: GRBL Freezes while sending a file

Post by Will Winder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 am

The "on" light and the pin 13 light (for some unknown-to-me reason) were lit with my 6v power supply, so I was hoping it was adequately powered. After some more experimenting it looks like that might not be the case.

I disconnected the external supply and powered the board directly from the CP2102 5v/gnd outputs and was able to control GRBL and get output using the standard 9600 baud rate. I'll look around for a 9v power supply and try again using the optocouplers.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 am

Sorry about the 250,000 bps number, that's the default for Marlin, not GRBL. I've edited my previous post to correct it.

I'm glad you found the problem, for now. Hopefully it'll work perfectly, as it did for me, once you find a good power supply. I have three small bench power supplies, and two of those "universal" regulated switching mode power supplies (one goes up to 1 A at 12 V, the other one can put out up to 4 A at 15 V or 5 A at 12 V), and I use all of them a lot. :)

Vaguely funny, vaguely related story about power supplies: I bought myself a Weller WES51 soldering station when I used to live in Chicago. $100, worth every penny: I loved it. When I moved to back to London, I plugged it into a large 240 V to 120 V transformer, but it did not work at all. Opening it up revealed nothing -- the transformer put out 24 Vac as expected, the microcontroller got 5 Vdc as expected, only it did nothing, just sat there, LED off, and no signal to the triac. Turns out, the units sold in North America work only if the mains supply is 60 Hz. Units sold elsewhere have a different firmware, which works on 50 Hz as well as 60 Hz. The firmware can not be upgraded, though. So I bought a small inverter (for use in a car) from the US, plugged it into 15 Vdc, got 120 V 60 Hz out, and my soldering station is happy again.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I am finding that during some jobs, my transmission freezes.
I am communicating from a MacBook to the Arduino using the UniversalGcodeSender (1.0.6) Java application.
When it freezes, I can usually see the last successful commands using the Command Table. This gives me a fighting chance of restarting, or at least getting back (close) to 0,0,0.
I am unable to restart the communication and have found that although I can kill it, I cannot restart the Java code either. My only solution has been to reboot and try to find my way back to home again to restart things. (Roll on the limit switches to make this easier!)

Is this the same problem, or am I seeing something different?

/Rob
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

criznach

Post by criznach » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm

I don't think I've seen it on my macbook, but definitely on a Dell XPS 15z laptop. I believe I can see the last command output in the log, and the spindle stops dead. I believe it's at the start or end of a new move but I could do some testing to be sure. I can usually cancel the job, then raise the z to get the tool out of the workpiece. Then I can sometimes execute a few manual steps but it eventually stops responding until I hit the "soft reset" button, or restart everything. The soft reset button seems to buy me a few more manual steps, but I always restart everything before reattempting the job. I've started marking my zero point with my bit before running the job so I have a fighting chance of saving the part. As you said, homing and limit switches will be a life saver.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm

I sometimes get hangs using GrblController to send to my Arduino --- I've tried to get in the habit of including a move to safety height and then a move to zero at the end of my files.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

tegneejnar

Post by tegneejnar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi,

I'm so happy that I found this thread. I experienced the same problem several times and was just about to give up on my ShapeOko when I saw this. I've added a ferrit clamp to my USB cable and I moved the power supply for the GRBL shield to another power outlet. Since then I've had no problems. :D

tegneejnar

Post by tegneejnar » Sat May 03, 2014 1:26 pm

tegneejnar wrote:Hi,

I'm so happy that I found this thread. I experienced the same problem several times and was just about to give up on my ShapeOko when I saw this. I've added a ferrit clamp to my USB cable and I moved the power supply for the GRBL shield to another power outlet. Since then I've had no problems. :D
Update: I was just about getting friends with my ShapeOko again, when Murphy showed his ugly face again! I had been cutting a complicated piece without problems when my GRBL shield decided to skip one or more commands while I was cutting my work piece out using a profile operation (12 millimeters deep). It simply skipped (or so it seemed) one or more commands while going around a curve so it tried to run the cutter right through my work piece. Disaster! :cry: After several hours of running perfecly it ruined my work during the last operation. :x

Any suggestions?

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat May 03, 2014 9:12 pm

There are single line power filters, just plug one into your power strip and run the electronics on that outlet. Amazon has several different styles. This is one of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SPIKEC ... +protector
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

jhsnider

Post by jhsnider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:04 pm

FYI.....I had a stalling problem pop up recently. Regardless the job it would run for a short while then freeze. I had just upgraded my spindle and I thought I might have caused the problem when I did the upgrade. I rechecked my work and could find nothing wrong. I had also installed a WIFI card in my computer recently. It is a cheap off brand card that doesn't stay connected. While running a job I noticed the GRBL froze just as my WIFI signal dropped out. Disabled the network adapter...Problem gone!

DasWookie

Post by DasWookie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:34 pm

I keep having problems with my job freezing up about 40 minutes in. It's happened 4 different times now, with 2 separate files, and three different controllers: Easel, Universal gCode Sender, and Grbl Controller.

I noticed with Universal gCode Sender, in the Command Table tab that there are queued lines which have been marked as Sent, but NOT marked as Done.

I have tried all the suggested recommendations for EMI. I haven't milled any metal, so there are no chips causing a short. My only other idea at this point is Heat. I don't have a heatsink or fan on the GRBL. I'm not seeing much in the way of folks saying they are using active, or passive, cooling on their GRBL boards, but wonder if that may be my issue. The ICs on the GRBL are getting quite hot, but not so hot that I can't touch them. I don't know how hot is TOO hot, but have heard something in the way of 50-60c over ambient. It SEEMS like I'm within those realms, I can enable vebose output, and am getting the same reply back from the grbl while my SO2 is frozen (the steppers are holding, they just aren't moving) so the arduino is responding and I'm getting communication back and forth between the PC and the Arduino.

I'm running latest grbl code from the repo, compiled in the Arduino IDE and uploaded. The SO2 is working fine and completely as expected for the first ~40 minutes, and then, HANG... it just... stops moving. Spindle is still spinning away (I've got a Quiet Cut spindle), the controller software SEEMS to still be communicating with the Arduino... but nothing's happening. It's just... hung.
SO2.jpg
SO2 hung up
SO2.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
I'm at a loss at this point of what to try other than trying to cobble some means together of trying to cool the stepper control ICs.