loosing work coordinate system storage after limit switch

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
JeromyReno

loosing work coordinate system storage after limit switch

Post by JeromyReno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:14 am

is it normal to loose my g54-g59 and g90 when I hit the limit switches. my g28 and g30 remain in memory but the work planes are gone. this is with carbide motion. I haven't had any luck with bcnc, or usg.

is that normal?

cvoinescu

Re: loosing work coordinate system storage after limit switc

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:25 am

No, they should persist. Of course, you have to re-home, because position has been lost, but the work coordinate offsets (G54 etc) should stay in memory. G90 offsets will be lost when you reset, though. I get the impression that Carbide Motion "manages" the G54 coordinate system for you, meaning it feels free to change it when it feels like it -- which is why I would test this with a different G-code sender.

When you say you haven't had luck with bCNC, what does that mean? It has the same problem, or you weren't able to use it at all?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:27 am

looking threw the logs it seems like carbide sends a g10 p1 l20 x0 y0 z0 command and kills my g54 setting. i'll just have to work around it.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:31 am

Well, now we have confirmation of that. Several people recommended using G55 and up, because Carbide Motion leaves those alone.

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 am

cvoinescu wrote:No, they should persist. Of course, you have to re-home, because position has been lost, but the offsets should stay in memory.

When you say you haven't had luck with bCNC, what does that mean? It has the same problem, or you weren't able to use it at all?
oh sorry yeah re reading that I hardly even under stood what I was trying to say haha. with bcnc I was having problems getting my gcode to load with out constant errors about the gcode even though it runs fine in carbide motion. and in usg my scaling of parts are way off. I only installed it today and haven't spent enough time getting it figured out, but it seems like a really great gcode sender when I do. I love having programmable buttons to save me time on mundane tasks.

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:33 am

cvoinescu wrote:Well, now we have confirmation of that. Several people recommended using G55 and up, because Carbide Motion leaves those alone.
hay thanks for being so responsive!! it's so nice to have a great community on here! i'll go back to tinkering and see if I can find more problems for us to solve haha

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:10 pm

bCNC is, by default, in a "strict" mode, where any unsupported G-code is considered an error. GRBL does not support tool change operations, for instance, but most CAM post-processors are configured to output them (things like T1 M6). GRBL complains about the unsupported G-code, and bCNC does the safe thing and stops right away. Most other senders keep their fingers crossed and carry on, ignoring the error. You can configure bCNC to do the same, or you can tweak your CAM post-processor to remove the unsupported commands.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:16 pm

I believe bCNC has added an option / mode to allow M6 tool change support.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm running an older version. I should update. :)

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:07 am

I use cambam for all my gcode and as I find code it doesn't like I go in and remove it from the cam processing. Turns out it had to do with canned cycles and cutter offset. In the header. Super easy fix. Now I don't know how I ever survived without bcnc. I should have kept my udoo board(like raspberry pie,with wifi and hard drive support, and an arduino onboard) to make a standalone processor since it's a python program. Looks like I have a new project to tackle.