Upgrade v2.3 board?

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
FaustWoodworks

Upgrade v2.3 board?

Post by FaustWoodworks » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:05 am

I connected my board and checked the GRBL version and it has nothing available. There is no GRBL loaded on to my board. So I have tried to upload it but it never works.

I'm having some trouble upgrading.

1.) I downloaded the grbl-master from Github
2.) I loaded the grbl library into the Arduino IDE
3.) I opened the grblUpload file
4.) upload always fails

There is a Prog button on my board just below the limit switch pin-outs but, i can not find any literature on how to upgrade this board....

Error Message:

Code: Select all

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5b
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Upgrade v2.3 board?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:49 am

Have you tried the sketch which clears the EEPROM?

If that doesn’t help, contact support@carbide3d.com and they’ll get you squared away.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Idk if you've figured it out yet but I had exact same problem. Could not ever upload with arduino ide or closer but could connect with carbide motion or bcnc. I managed to screw up grbl tho

Then I tried connecting an arduino uno and had no problem flashing with ArduinoAsIsp in the ide.
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:32 pm

Xloader* not closer

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:19 pm

FaustWoodworks wrote: There is no GRBL loaded on to my board. So I have tried to upload it but it never works.
That's probably because they missed your board when they flashed them, and it doesn't even have the bootloader. The Arduino IDE and Xloader (and everything that wants to program your board through the USB connection) actually talks to the bootloader on the chip. Without that, the chip can't self-flash, and needs to be flashed via the ISP.
rtlflatt wrote:Could not ever upload with arduino ide or closer but could connect with carbide motion or bcnc.
That's a bit different: your board probably had GRBL but not the bootloader*. Without the bootloader, you can't flash anything else, but GRBL still works. Once you've flashed a bootloader via ISP, you can now also flash the board with the Arduino ISP or Xloader.

*Except, I hear, the newest version of the Carbide Motion board, where you need to keep a button pressed to be able to program the board via USB. The button is near (or under) the big capacitor at the top-right of the board. This could well have been your problem, not a missing bootloader, because that's harder to explain as a mistake than a completely blank chip. But now that you've flashed GRBL via ISP, you may have erased the bootloader...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:27 pm

cvoinescu wrote: *Except, I hear, the newest version of the Carbide Motion board, where you need to keep a button pressed to be able to program the board via USB. The button is near (or under) the big capacitor at the top-right of the board. This could well have been your problem, not a missing bootloader, because that's harder to explain as a mistake than a completely blank chip. But now that you've flashed GRBL via ISP, you may have erased the bootloader...
I've got board v2.1. no capacitor on mine. Probably should've stated which board i have.

jimidi

Post by jimidi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:55 am

I'm hoping the enlightened group here can help me get a v2.2 controller board reflashed.
I've come to the conclusion after trying to flash GRBL 0.9j that I'm in this camp:

"That's a bit different: your board probably had GRBL but not the bootloader*. Without the bootloader, you can't flash anything else, but GRBL still works. Once you've flashed a bootloader via ISP, you can now also flash the board with the Arduino ISP or Xloader."

I've arrived at this conclusion after multiple attempts using XLoader at every baud rate, Carbide Controller powered on and off, and pressing the reset button before, and after clicking "Upload"

I do have an AVR JTAGICE module, and another AVR JTAGICE3 that I acquired at a local liquidation... never fired them up nor do I know if they work, but I'm willing to try flashing up a bootloader if this is indeed the back door to do so.

I'm ultimately trying to get Estlcam CNC controls flashed into this v2.2 controller board, leaving my v2.3 controller board in a vanilla "carbide3d" condition. I'm posting up my woes here in the Carbide Community forums too: http://community.carbide3d.com/t/re-fla ... der/2272/1

Any information on what to reference would be greatly appreciated.

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:30 am

I had challenges flashing before, but was able to succeed, haven't had any issues the last few times I've tried. Are you using X-Loader to flash? Chilipeppr also will allow you to flash arduino boards.

Try to flash immediately after powering up the board with the power supply. Turn off all anti virus software on your PC while flashing.

jimidi

Post by jimidi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:42 am

Yes, using XLoader with a v2.2 Carbide Motion controller board. I am convinced there's no bootloader. XLoader won't work, nor will the reflash utility in Estlcam reprogram the board.

I'll try to sync the power-up/upload operation a few times.

From the community posts:

my target controller is a v2.2 Carbide Motion PCB.

COM port = 3 (Shapeoko3 in Device Manager)
Baud rate = 115K
Device = Uno(ATmega328)
Hex File? (Pasted the ASCII from this link into a file using Notepad / http://bit.ly/1I8Ey4S)

Xloader sat there and locked up requiring Task Manager abort.
Does one need to manually reset the controller?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm

I don't know whether the JTAGICE can program non-JTAG chips, but I know you can use a spare Arduino (Uno, Mega, whatever) to program any other Arduino or Arduino-like board with a 6-pin ISP connector. On your 2.2 controller, be sure to use the lower ISP connector, the one for the ATMega328P -- you don't want to reprogram the USB-to-serial adapter (ATMega16U2) by accident.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk