New UI for grbl

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
arkypita

New UI for grbl

Post by arkypita » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Dear Shapeoko community
I have developed LaserGRBL, a new software for grbl expecially designed for laser.

Comments, bugreport and suggestion are appreciated!
Last edited by arkypita on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arkypita

Re: New UI for grbl

Post by arkypita » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Existing feature:
- Load gcode file and stream to arduino grbl board via COM port
- Image import (jpg, bmp...) with line by line GCode generation (horizontal, vertical, and diagonal).
- Image import (jpg, bmp...) with Vectorization! [Experimental]
- Job preview (with alpha blending for grayscale engraving)
- Configuration Import/Export
- Configuration, Alarm and Error codes decoding for Grbl v1.1 (with description tooltip)
- Homing button, Feed Hold button, Resume button and Grbl Reset button
- Job time preview and realtime projection
- Jogging (for any Grbl version)
- Feed overrides (for Grbl > v1.1) with easy-to-use interface

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:54 pm

This is _very_ cool, and makes me wanting a laser for my machine move higher up the priority list! Wikied!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

arkypita

Post by arkypita » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the wiki
A laser diode is a musthave for any CNC owner

cozmicray

Post by cozmicray » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:12 pm

OK I have laser grbl 2.0.2 running
Documentation NONE

Config file where?

Laser ON/OFF where
What does lightning button do?
What does House button do?
What does lock button -- what needs locking?
under file
Save Program ?????

Where is Z setting --- I guess you got to use special "GRBL Z height setter" ?
How do I set it to turn my laser ON/OFF power setting ---- I use arduino pin 12 to pwm laser

Might be a neat piece of software --- without documentation not much?
:?:

arkypita

Post by arkypita » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks for your feedback cozmicray
Config file where?
LaserGRBL is basically a gcode streamer, so it was kept as essential as possible and does not need a config as the only things it must know are COM port and BAUD rate.
When importing raster images you can set some infos like LaserON/OFF command, power setting and scaling which are the minimum information to generate a nice code. (these data are persisted)

Config import/export is a feature to export all the grbl setting ($$ command show actual setting). This is usefull when you want to test some different grbl config and you like to backup previous configuration.
What does lightning button do? What does House button do? What does lock button -- what needs locking?
Home button does homing ($H)... really?!
Open lock button does unlock ($X)... really?!
Lightning button does grbl reset (ctrl-x)... ok, this could be difficult to guess :roll:
Laser ON/OFF where?
Laser ON/OFF is in the loaded gcode program (M3/M5). Domeone switches the laser by hand while executing a piece?
Perhaps it might be useful to turn on the LEDs to perform focusing. Currently this can be done manually by entering commands in the input control, buttons could be a usefull shortcut.
Save Program ?????
As LaserGRBL can generate program by itself importing raster image, you can save generated GCode through this menu option
Z ?
Z is not managed by LaserGRBL cause is not developed for a 3 axis CNC, but for 2 axis laser plotter/engraver. I have no Z axis in my HW so it is very difficult for me to develop something to control Z.
Might be a neat piece of software --- without documentation not much?
Who needs documentation? Seriously, who?
You have received a document when you bought your phone? Yet it has many more features! Where is the documentation when you download an app?

The goal of LaserGRBL is to remain as simple as possible to use, simple to the point of not needing documentation. Any suggestions in this direction are welcome, for example, I could add text to the buttons that you've mentioned.

cozmicray

Post by cozmicray » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:59 pm

A product that controls a high power laser
without instructions, warnings, documentation

Good Luck!

arkypita

Post by arkypita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 pm

cozmicray wrote:A product that controls a high power laser
without instructions, warnings, documentation
Good Luck!
I think that we are not understanding of which is the product is in question.

LaserGRBL is aimed at those amateur systems that are formed by an XY table or a small CNC (like shapeoko) on which a modest power laser - 0.5W to 5W - is mounted on. Lot of this system can be found on ebay, bangood, aliexpress looking for "laser engraver".

LaserGRBL does not control the machine, does not directly control the motors, does not control the laser directly.
In these systems the electronic driver board, in many cases an Arduino with grbl, is the real motion controller. LaserGRBL, like many other software, only do the streaming of gcode to the board.

LaserGRBL is another of these software, thought to be minimal, to be robust and easy to use. Plus it has some features that others do not have, like the ability to directly load raster image and convert gcode.

Perhaps I was wrong to write in this forum, but I have seen that many DIY laser engraver are based on shapeoko, so I thought it might be helpful to your community.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 am

You're fine to be here --- this started as an opensource project and projects with or without documentation should be welcome.

The goal of creating software which doesn't need a manual is laudable, but you may want to consider that some users will want at least some guidance and reassurance and direction.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cozmicray

Post by cozmicray » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

These are lasers above 500mw Class 4 -- Severe eye damage possible.

These machines and software control Class 4 lasers
Knowledge of operation is a must for safety.

Your son or daughters eye line just about the height of your bench
and the laser head?

Take care now or answer to the lawyers

Please prevent eye damage
prevent sale of white canes!

:?: