Much research yet no solution to WCS offset problem

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
Radic_Botanic

Much research yet no solution to WCS offset problem

Post by Radic_Botanic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post and I'm excited to join the community. Recently purchased a Shapeoko 3 as my first mill and I'm glad to be making fairly quick progress(I think) but I'm having major trouble with one thing right now. I feel I've exhausted my research and don't know where to turn. I don't find anyone else addressing my specific problem.

I'm trying to set up my WCS with my various offsets. I enter the g code G10 L20 P1 X(offset) Y(offset) Z(offset) in the MDI and nothing is stored under G54. I've tried all types of combinations e.g. bringing the machine to the intended zero and entering G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 Z0. I've seen people mention some trouble with G54 so I tried skipping it and setting coordinates for G55 with P2 but it says something to the effect of wrong P value(I forget the exact error message). My main point is that after trying all of these things no values are ever stored in my G54-59 memory slots. They are always all zeros! I've read thru dozens of people having trouble with WCS offsets and they usually end of finding a remedy without ever asking this question which is baffling me. I have homing enabled if that means anything. I'm wondering if some parameter unknown to me is causing this. I've also tried G92 X(offset) Y(offset) Z(offset) and if I remember correctly it said it didn't even support G92 which I found odd but may be completely irrelevant.

I would really appreciate any help that can be offered as I am basically at a standstill right now and I'm super frustrated. I may be leaving out relevant details so I can surely provide any further specific details for anyone who may have an idea as to troubleshooting this.

Thanks so much!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Much research yet no solution to WCS offset problem

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm afraid that Carbide Motion doesn't really allow one to use the Work Coordinate Systems ( https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... te_Systems ) --- you should use a comm / control program which doesn't re-write the code on-the-fly instead --- bCNC, UGS, &c. https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... _/_Control

I've added a note about CM here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... te_Systems
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Radic_Botanic

Post by Radic_Botanic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for your response. I actually came across the same answer in my reading after I made the post but I'm glad you clarified it. I did see one person who posted a picture in carbide motion of their log for the G54-G59 values and their G55 WCS actually did have a saved value as opposed to the usual zeroes(G54 remained zeroes). I also came across many posts(primarily on this forum) that led me to believe you could use WCS with Carbide Motion. Each individual may have had different problems from the start but by the end of the discussion most of them seemed to get it to "work" in Carbide Motion. Anyway, I installed bCNC(a bit frustrating itself :D) and I like the interface on first viewing it. Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 am

Try Intelligent-g-code by software redefined, it is much more user friendly than bCNC for using WCS.

Chilipeppr works well also, but you are limited to 5MB file size due to browser buffer limitations.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:03 pm

It's my understanding that if you don't use G54, and if you do use a / (or is it backslash?) to send G-code commands relating to WCS to the machine, that one can make it work (until there's an update which changes things?).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:49 am

G54 is the default, and as I understand it CM utilizes G54 and resets any stored offset value in G54 when it starts. As a rule of thumb, don't store any WCS offsets you rely on frequently in G54.

G55-G59 are selected by sending the location, i.e. G56, which should select the WCS offsets. I would like to have the time to write something more in detailed. I recommend using a WCS friendly program such as intelli-g-code or bCNC to help understand how it works.

Radic_Botanic

Post by Radic_Botanic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Thank you everyone for your input