Shapeoko Back Storage

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
GurneyHalleck

Shapeoko Back Storage

Post by GurneyHalleck » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:36 pm

As I was assembling my Shapoko3, I noticed a rather large volume of un-used space at the back end of the baseboard when the framework is at Home position. I wanted some experience with the S3 before attempting to actually build the elaborate tab & slot building I have designed. I came up with two simple boxes with removable doors, about 10” wide, 4.5” tall, and 4.5” deep.
BoxesInPlace1.jpg
BoxesInPlace1.jpg (899.03 KiB) Viewed 354 times
The first box was a tab & slot design based on my building. The first step was to drill the ‘dog bone’ holes at each inside corner, followed by the pocketing for the groves for the (removable) shelf and divider. The last step was the profile cut of the sides.
Dogbone holes and pockets1.jpg
Dogbone holes and pockets1.jpg (913.37 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Profile Cuts1.jpg
Profile Cuts1.jpg (987.32 KiB) Viewed 354 times
The second box I made was a design inspired by WillAdams in his post on https://cutrocket.com/: Design into 3D: Box: Rabbeted: Basic.
The outsides of the boxes were cut from 3/8” plywood. The shelf and divider, and the door for tab & slot box were cut from 1/4" plywood. All cuts were done with the 1/4” flat end mill that came with the S3. The main ‘trick’ with these boxes is ensuring that the tab or slot depth, or the pocket cuts on the Rabbeted box, must be equal to the material thickness for the edges to match when the pieces are assembled at 90 degrees to each other. The 3/8” (0.375”) plywood, for example, was actually 0.360” thick. The 1/4" plywood was 0.22” thick.

The CAD design was done with Inkscape using an 1/8” snap grid. When the design was finalized, the profile of each piece had to be scaled by 0.360/0.375 or 96%. The pocket cuts for the shelf and door were not scaled down, because the full width of the cutter still applies. The profile cuts and the corresponding pocket outlines were then centered vertically and horizontally.

The final step with the tab & slot box were placing the dog bone holes near the inside corners. I first drew four 1/4" circles for the drilling operation. Then I drew four squares with sides of ‘circle radius’ * 1.414. I then snapped the corner of each square to the center of a circle, so there is a square in each quadrant. Finally, I copied, pasted, and snapped the circle-box objects to the appropriate inner corner. During the CAM operation, only the circles are selected for the Drill Operation. The dog bone holes were placed on a separate layer in Inkscape so that layer can be turned off, if needed.
Last edited by GurneyHalleck on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just purchased a Shapeoko 3. :)

GurneyHalleck

Re: Shapeoko Back Storage

Post by GurneyHalleck » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 pm

The rest of the photos...
Tab&SlotBox1.jpg
Tab&SlotBox1.jpg (904.69 KiB) Viewed 353 times
RabbetedBox1.jpg
RabbetedBox1.jpg (984.53 KiB) Viewed 353 times
DogBoneLayer.jpg
DogBoneLayer.jpg (268.31 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Just purchased a Shapeoko 3. :)