Dust Shoe for Proxxon Mount

Share your Shapeoko created projects!

Dust Shoe for Proxxon Mount

Postby Mudshark » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I modeled this dust shoe off the design from Improbable Construct. I was able to change the size to eliminate any loss of X and Y axis size. I went with 1/4" polycarbonate to reduce the amount of Z loss. The bottom was made so the outer ring comes off to make it easier to install a sweep made from craft foam.
Proxxon Dust Shoe.jpg
Dust Shoe mount
Proxxon Dust Shoe.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 7096 times

The drawback is that you cannot see what is happening at the bit due to the small size. But the sweep is easy to install.
Proxxon Dust Shoe Bottom.jpg
Dust Shoe bottom
Proxxon Dust Shoe Bottom.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
Mudshark
Serial #0054, 2 Watt laser, dual X motors, double Y, ACME Z Axis, G540, Mach 3, rotating axis, Proxxon, 750mm x 375mm, laser cross hairs, auto zero
Ordbot #201, MK7 extruder gone minimalist with MK8 nozzle
Mudshark

Re: Dust Shoe for Proxxon Mount

Postby Improbable Construct » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 pm

That looks great! How does the craft foam work?
I went so far as to go and get some and even cut into fingers but never got around to installing it.
Nice work!
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct
Improbable Construct

Postby edwardrford » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm

I have got to install something like that! It's awesome.

What type of vac do you have hooked up? Are you using something like a dust cyclone or just sucking it directly into the vac?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock
edwardrford

Postby PsyKo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Are this magnets ? What are they for ?
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5858&p=44380#p44380
PsyKo

Postby Mudshark » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks, I used 2mm craft foam and cut it with my Shapeoko laser. It performed fine but has a lot of memory. I used a 1/16" (1.5875mm) mill to cut the slot and it has held up so far. Takes about a minute to replace with no tools. I just put the outer piece down, place the foam around the inner edge and push in the center piece. Kept the area clean with my small shop vac so I can use my router indoors this winter.
Dust Shoe hose routing.jpg
Vacuum hose guide
Dust Shoe hose routing.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 7034 times

Dropped a photo to show the hose routing, used 1/16" aluminum flat stock and hand formed. I pooched my dimensions on the vacuum hose opening, yours from the original shoe was perfect but I used a smaller endmill and blew it otherwise I'd post gcode. Those magnets are a riot, they are close enough that I lost my grip while epoxying them in. Whatta mess!
Mudshark
Serial #0054, 2 Watt laser, dual X motors, double Y, ACME Z Axis, G540, Mach 3, rotating axis, Proxxon, 750mm x 375mm, laser cross hairs, auto zero
Mudshark

Postby Mudshark » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi y'all y'all. First I use a small shop vac hang up mini, it does vibrate off tables so I toss a piece of tape on it to hold in place. Just sucks straight into vacuum, seems to handle the particulate well enough in the house. Same filter system as the bigger ones.

The magnets allow you to take off the sweep portion of the dust shoe so you can align, set z, etc. I set up my piece and location of the tool, raise the tool, put on the sweep and start the cycle. Being they are small (these are N42 strength), they are difficult to handle and match faces when assembling. Even when being careful, they get away and if they slam together, they break. I would have never believed how strong they were until I installed them. IC's design was sooo cool.
Mudshark
Mudshark

Postby Improbable Construct » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Mudshark wrote:Thanks, I used 2mm craft foam and cut it with my Shapeoko laser. It performed fine but has a lot of memory.

I think that is why I never got around to mounting the craft foam. It seems like it may be just as stiff as the brushes I am currently using.
I have been toying with the idea of somehow mounting the craft foam at a 45 degree angle outwards. That might keep it from resisting so badly when plunging with the Z.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct
Improbable Construct

Postby Mudshark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:34 am

Hi IC, I don't think you'll have any problem with the craft foam, I tried it in the first shoe I built (picture on my build, Another Red Shapeoko). It wasn't a problem and I had a short Z with that shoe. The strip width I used was 5mm on that shoe and 4mm on the latest shoe. I think the thinner strip is better and doesn't look so beat up afterwards.
Mudshark
Mudshark

Postby typomaniac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm

I know this thread is a little bit older but where did you get that proxxon mount? It looks very good and rigid ...
thanks a lot,

tm
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)
typomaniac

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm

That's a 20mm round rail support (for much larger CNC machines). It's sometimes referred to as a pillow block, and that size is commonly named SK20.

You can find them all over eBay, for example here (item name: "20mm SK20 Aluminium Linear Rail Shaft Support Pillow Block XYZ Table CNC UK").
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Next

Return to Member Projects