Dust Shoe for Proxxon Mount

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
typomaniac

Re: Dust Shoe for Proxxon Mount

Post by typomaniac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 am

awesome!! Thank you! Bought it ....
hope it works as good as it looks -g-
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 pm

You'll like it. Just a note, I trashed the lower bearing on my proxxon last week while doing pcb's. Lot of axial play. New bearings ordered MR148ZZ-C. They are readily available from model R/C sites. I suspect mine was thread locked to hold in place by proxxon due to clearance between clips. We'll see how this works, there are other posts on-line as to doing this fix.
Mudshark
Serial #0054, 2 Watt laser, dual X motors, double Y, ACME Z Axis, G540, Mach 3, rotating axis, needle cutter, Proxxon, 750mm x 375mm, laser cross hairs, auto zero, GT2
Ordbot #201, E3d hot end, bourdon tube feeder.

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey : )

finally got mine and it looks great. What i did not realize: I expected the holes to match the makerslide. How did you solve this? Did you make some kind of backplate
where the pillow block is mounted on? And do you only use one mount for the whole proxxon?

thanks a lot (and sorry for hijacking the thread ; )

tm

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 pm

I used 3 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick aluminum flat stock to make a backplate. I bolted the proxxon mount to the plate and use 4 screws to hold the backplate to the makerslide. I got 4 tee nuts from Misumi that have spring loaded ball bearings to hold them in place for when I swap to/from my laser. This has always seemed firm for attachment. I only use the single mount but I don't push my rig as far as some of the other guys do.
DSCF0667.JPG
DSCF0667.JPG (91.9 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
Mudshark
Serial #0054, 2 Watt laser, dual X motors, double Y, ACME Z Axis, G540, Mach 3, rotating axis, needle cutter, Proxxon, 750mm x 375mm, laser cross hairs, auto zero, GT2

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 am

That looks awesome : ) Did you get the aluminium in the right size or how did you cut it?
Maybe you can also help me with the t-nuts. What dimensions do they have? I did not find them
in germany yet ...

And one more question: How did you mount the pillow block. Is there a nut for the screw on the backside
of the aluminum plate?

thanks again,

tm

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm sure you can use the T-slot insertion nuts that came with your kit, and probably the four M5 x 10mm screws too. The nuts are Misumi part number HNKK5-5. They also come in M3 (HNKK5-3) and M4 (HNKK5-4).

I suspect there are hex nuts on the back of the plate. That would give more strength than tapping the aluminium plate. However, with the eShapeOko, anything on the back of the plate may hit the tips of the Z V-wheel bolts. A "simple" cure for that is to assemble the X carriage with the bolts reversed (heads at the front of the machine, nuts at the rear).

Or you can use countersunk screws to attach the mount to the plate, with the screw heads at the rear of the plate and the nuts in front (but cap screws with washers would be stronger).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm

For the nuts I used Misumi HNTU5-5 ($0.65 each). As far as the mounting bolts, I did tap the aluminum, M5 bolts and selected the bolt size to minimize how much protrudes from the backside. That said, the width of the mounting block is just right such that the bolts would not hit the makerslide on the backside. I added the right angle brackets for the dust shoe and these are Misumi as well (HBLSS5). I got some 4040 extusion cut to length and openrail for my X axis upgrade when I get new plates.
I cut the aluminum with a bandsaw and I made it just long enough to make sure it would not interfere with IC's Z axis upgrade when I do it. A sabre saw, jig saw, sawzall or hacksaw (if you like pain) will all work, aluminum is not that difficult to work with.
The suggestions cvoinescu has made are all great choices also. He does some really nice work.
My youngest daughter lives in K-town which is quite a bit south of Hamburg, enjoyed the people I met there last year. Beautiful country.
Mudshark

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:52 am

Hey : )

thank you cvoinescu and mudshark for your in-depth answers. Again i learned a lot and i already got the aluminium (pre-cut since i do not have the place
for all the tools). I am going wo work on this next week and tell you when i am finished. Thanks a lot!
@ Mudshark: Really? That's nice to hear since the northern german people are not always the most open-minded ; ) I tried to find out which town you meant but i am not sure : ) If you get over here once again please tell me so i can say thank you :-)

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Good luck typomaniac! Please post some pictures. - She is in Kaiserslautern, not with the service so she doesn't get as many parking tickets. She has some interesting stories from the gym.
Mudshark

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:10 am

new shoe mount.txt
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
new shoe mount.txt
new shoe mount.txt
These are the files for the dust shoe in GCode. The vacuum hose hole is too large so you should measure yours and make the changes in the code or just say the heck with it and put some tape around the hose end.

Take a little time to look at then as I may have some errors in it. Good luck with them!
Attachments
new dust shoe skirt.txt
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
new shoe bottom.txt
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Mudshark