Wedding sign

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Jimmy0x52

Wedding sign

Post by Jimmy0x52 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm

http://www.justin.tv/jimmy0x52 Running live right now - 2/14/2013 9:15am central - if you're interested in watching it carve it

Cutting this into a piece of 3/4" ambrosia maple:

Then I'm going to paint or stain the letters. Going to be a wedding gift for my brother and also a prop for pictures.

msg558

Re: Wedding sign

Post by msg558 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm trying to do something slightly different also as a wedding gift to my brother. Are you going to post pics when it's finished? Excited to see the finished product.

Jimmy0x52

Post by Jimmy0x52 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:05 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360947908.494664.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360947908.494664.jpg (159.07 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

Jimmy0x52

Post by Jimmy0x52 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

So this took a full 23 hours to mill. I set it super slow (300mm/sec feed rate, 100mm/sec plunge) because I had never cut maple and wasn't sure.

I used a 1/16" 2-fluted end mill.

I also have poor holddowns so certain letters are a bit deeper than others.

All in all, I could have done 2-3mm passes and instead only did 0.5mm passes to a final depth of 5mm. On some of the deeper letters, it cut no issue at a deeper rate.

One weird thing was the 's' at the end. Since it was the farthest from the controllers, cables were extended all the way. For some reason, the Z-axis went crazy on this part and would often translate commands backwards or generally be messed up. I could not figure out why. My only hunch was that the belting is lower than level with the motors where it's attached, and it may take more force to hold the X/Y motors in place. Maybe this was overtaxing the TinyG and causing some problems on that end? You can see the S is a bit rougher and yellow. I was holding the e-stop the whole time, and caught it a few times as it plunged down but before it went off the letter. Then I mixed some shavings and wood glue together and filled in the holes. I plan on sanding and staining over it anyways. I also had to chisel out the last bit as I just couldn't trust the machine to finish it.

I'm still planning on staining inside the letters, and paste waxing the whole thing once that's done. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Total width on the lettering is about 700mm wide and 200mm high.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Jimmy0x52 wrote:(300mm/sec feed rate, 100mm/sec plunge)
That actually looks quite fast for the Shapeoko. I think you mean 300mm/min, right ?
Jimmy0x52 wrote: I could have done 2-3mm passes and instead only did 0.5mm passes to a final depth of 5mm
You could have done a roughing pass of, let's say 2mm/pass, 1mm away from the actual milling depth, and then run a finishing pass at the current speed and depth/pass.

But all in all, it look really good :)
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

msg558

Post by msg558 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Excellent work! Looks very nice. How did you accomplish the lettering size that you provided? Do you have extended axes beyond stock ShapeOko? Or did you move the piece of Maple every now and then?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:14 pm

If you’re going to set things which are more permanent than blog or forum posts, please learn how to access proper typographic characters.
  • don’t use a stick apostrophe suitable for computer code — use the proper curly form, ’ and when quoting, lead with an opening left quote ‘
  • the same goes for double quotes, “ and ”
  • but remember, it’s an apostrophe, not a left quote when leaving letters out of words ’n’ such
  • but also please use a proper prime ( ′ ) or double prime symbol ( ″ ) when setting indicating feet, inches and other such constructs which should not get a stick quote, the unidirectional stick quote should only be used for computer code or when one wishes to indicate naïve keyboard entry
  • use an en dash to indicate duration, – and an em dash to indicate a pause in a thought — or an omission
References for this sort of thing include Robin Williams’ (not the comedian) The PC Is Not a Typewriter (originally published as The Mac Is Not a Typewriter), Robert Bringhurst’s The Elements of Typographic Style and pretty much any decent introductory work on typography or English usage.

I have a brief bit obliquely referring to this in my portfolio:

http://mysite.verizon.net/william_frank ... folio.html

“One Typeface, Many Fonts” http://mysite.verizon.net/william_frank ... netype.pdf (which is featured in the TeX Showcase and used to be linked to from a Wikipedia article on typographic terminology before someone decided to remove it)

and people may find the “Typeface Terminology” broadside http://mysite.verizon.net/william_frank ... nology.pdf to be of interest as well.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Jimmy0x52

Post by Jimmy0x52 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Will - care to be a bit more direct? I'm a bit thick.

Are you referring to the apostrophe to indicate possession in my sign or something else?

I always enjoy your wisdom.

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 pm

So cool! at those dimensions, just estimating from the size of the chair you could have gone with a 1/8" end mill? That also would have sped things up considerably. Or do you think the sharpest corners of letters would have suffered a little bit. I have had jobs run a few/several hours but 23 hours is IMO uncomfortable in terms of monitoring it even periodically. Was the S one of the last parts of the job, it could have slightly overheated the control board at the very end of the job? I think the other commentor is unhappy you didnt put a period after "est"? I personally would have liked to see a nice period there! :)
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:23 pm

You used a unidirectional stick apostrophe in your sign (').

Please contrast the appearance of it w/ a proper, typographic, curly apostrophe (’).

Copy the two characters in parentheses out, paste them into your favourite graphic design application, set them very large and look at the difference.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets