First Time cutting wood

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
bjbsquared

First Time cutting wood

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm

YouTube Video of my first attempts of cutting some wood: http://youtu.be/jqMCSxWVY4Y
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

cvoinescu

Re: First Time cutting wood

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Congratulations!

I have some advice regarding the belts. It's important that the belt is anchored at the same height as the top of the idler, so that the belt remains horizontal and the tension doesn't vary as the carriage travels. Then, you can tension the belt more firmly, which improves your accuracy.

Don't be surprised if you find that you need dual Y drive to maintain accuracy when cutting. Your "hello world" shows some Y racking; cutting wood is going to be worse.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

bjbsquared

Re: First Time cutting wood

Post by bjbsquared » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Thank you!

I did find the unpowered side lagging and resulting in backlash while cutting wood. I changed the cutting depth to 0.02" and the feed rate to 20 and that seemed to help.

I will put improved belt tensioners on the ToDo list.

I think If Im going to go for dual Y drive then I might as well up-size in the process so I am researching that.

Thanks for the advise!
cvoinescu wrote:Congratulations!

I have some advice regarding the belts. It's important that the belt is anchored at the same height as the top of the idler, so that the belt remains horizontal and the tension doesn't vary as the carriage travels. Then, you can tension the belt more firmly, which improves your accuracy.

Don't be surprised if you find that you need dual Y drive to maintain accuracy when cutting. Your "hello world" shows some Y racking; cutting wood is going to be worse.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660