Re: Shapeoko #736 upgrade

Post by nio » Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 am

PsyKo wrote:Hi nio,

Got them from HPC http://www.hpceurope.com/gb/
Thanks mate!!!!

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon May 20, 2013 6:42 am

Just curious, do you have any problems with the stainless steel v-wheels marring maker slide? I just worry about milling aluminum with the harder wheels, but I am still contemplating throwing them on the z axis. Even with my dust shroud I seem to get a sizable amount of material stuck on the v-wheels and I can not decide if it would be better or worse with the stainless wheels.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 am

The upgrades look great! and I have to say that is the most complicated "simple pen mount" I have ever seen, but it is a great idea. I need to build one of those.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Mon May 20, 2013 2:59 pm

danimal wrote:The upgrades look great! and I have to say that is the most complicated "simple pen mount" I have ever seen, but it is a great idea. I need to build one of those.
Well, it was actually pretty simple to assemble. It has 2 advantages.
1. I don't have to remove my spindle ( so I do not have to make sure it's square everytime).
2. It's very efficient when paper is not perfectly flat.
And besides, I had everything laying around.
danimal wrote:Just curious, do you have any problems with the stainless steel v-wheels marring maker slide? I just worry about milling aluminum with the harder wheels, but I am still contemplating throwing them on the z axis. Even with my dust shroud I seem to get a sizable amount of material stuck on the v-wheels and I can not decide if it would be better or worse with the stainless wheels.
They actually are marring the maker slide. A little bit, but this can effectively be an issue in the future. I think I'll switch to open rail hard coated aluminium once those makerslide are dead.
I actually noticed that the milled material doesn't stick as much on the metal than Delrin. So maybe it helps a little.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 am

PsyKo wrote:
danimal wrote:Just curious, do you have any problems with the stainless steel v-wheels marring maker slide? I just worry about milling aluminum with the harder wheels, but I am still contemplating throwing them on the z axis. Even with my dust shroud I seem to get a sizable amount of material stuck on the v-wheels and I can not decide if it would be better or worse with the stainless wheels.
They actually are marring the maker slide. A little bit, but this can effectively be an issue in the future. I think I'll switch to open rail hard coated aluminium once those makerslide are dead.
I actually noticed that the milled material doesn't stick as much on the metal than Delrin. So maybe it helps a little.
I am doing a ton of research right now and it looks like you can anodize your own makerslide if you have just a couple things. It looks like it will cost about $50-60 total depending on what you have available already. I will make a more detailed post in the proper location, but this is the gist of what would be required:

1) 3 gal de-ionized water
2) 2 quart or 60 floz or sulfuric acid (bought from O'Reilly auto parts for $8 total)
3) Car battery charger with about a 12 amp current rating
4) 3 - 4" Diameter PVC pipe that is the length of your makers slide. ($10 from lowes)
5) Some lead wire (same length). I am looking into if lead based solder will work, but you would need the thick stuff ($3 - 5)
6) Fish tank bubbler. (I had one so maybe like $5)
7) Coloring Dye if you want it ($10 on ebay)
8) A way to polish the rails for a better finish. (Elbow grease, or polishing pads for dremel tool)

There are a ton of dyes and sealers on ebay for cheap, I have not done this yet, but if it is successful I will post a whole how to video on here and hopefully we can get the best of both worlds. The best part is that when you are done you can keep the acid and dye and keep coating all the projects that you make with the shapeoko. You just need to keep adding DI water as it is broken down during the electrolysis.
Shapeoko # 1458

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Looking at the kit you listed, that's sulfuric acid anodizing (known as "Type 2" in the US). MakerSlide is already anodized that way from the factory.

What you are probably after is Type 3, or hardcoat, anodizing, which is done with the same reagents, but in a refrigerated bath (just above freezing) and at a different current. It is much harder to do as a hobbyist.

In any case, you also need a bath to strip the Type 2 anodizing, because you can't anodize over it.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk