shapeoko made this 3d printer

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
kbot3d

Re: shapeoko made this 3d printer

Post by kbot3d » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 am

ryan, The deltabot or rostock is a great design. it does have its flaws and increasing the build size has a few issues. I made one for a friend. the bigger you go the more it wants to twist. we made one using 3ft 8mm ground rod for a print area of about 15" also the vertical design puts alot of stress on the motors requiring larger motors. to go bigger than the common build xy wise adds weight and stress quickly.

for a quick explanation think of the tension on a long cable. at 45 degrees it can be pulled tight, at 90 degrees it will snap under its own weight and tension before you can get it dead straight.

also the a4988 driver will overheat quickly with the appropriate size motor to take the stress. I've burned out a few. Hell, I've ruined one of everything in my 3d printing adventures. polulu has just released 2 better drivers but i have yet to try them (soon very soon). also the rostock requires double the height of the vertical rail for travel and double the belt of that. so at least 15 feet of rail plus 30 ft of belt. it adds up quickly. all those downers said, it is a great machine and my buddy's has performed well. it also does large circles more accurately (more round, less boxy).

kbot3d

Post by kbot3d » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:02 am

veng1, your mendelmax is a great place to start but you may find the same issues I had with my prusa mendel as they are basically the same with yours having a more professional look and faster assembly. you may find z wobble a pain even with fancy aluminum couplers. ditch the double z nut with spring as soon as you can print. i designed a second part that goes under the carriage and aligns to the smooth rod that solves this issue. you may ask about backlash but i've seen none since making this mod and my printers only stop when I'm asleep and dont wake up to restart them. You have many of the expensive parts you need to make one like mine should you want to upgrade for minimal cost. I actually built mine for about the price you built yours.

Soon as all my parts arrive, I will be testing a new bed design that is basically nichrome embedded in silicone rubber that runs off 110v and a relay. I couldnt find a better alternative for an 18" x 18" without spending $300 or a ridiculous amount of weight. QUBD has a 24" x 24" version but I have never seen it actually in stock. If it works, then I will build a massive one that can be used by the largest of shapeokos.

I'd be happy to help you build a similiar one should you want to go bigger than the mendel.

veng1

Post by veng1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:09 pm

kbot3d, I think I've probably already made my mind to go to a bigger build volume and faster printing. Those are probably the reasons that I'm having trouble getting around to finishing the MendelMax. Plus, of course, I having a lot of fun building the much bigger ShapeOko but that's getting close to done. I didn't tear down the standard size ShapeOko so I've got it to fall back on.

Can you post a few more picture of your printer?

Pat.

kbot3d

Post by kbot3d » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:26 am

a few pics of the kbot for more detail. excuse the mess in the background. work in progress
Attachments
kbot1.jpg
kbot1.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
kbot3.jpg
kbot3.jpg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
kbot2.jpg
kbot2.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 1762 times

DevinTX

Post by DevinTX » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 am

nice. I need to save my pennies LOL

Devin
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

wz9v

Post by wz9v » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:11 pm

I like it. I've been eyeing the ordbot hadron design as a potential project.
Shapeoko 2 - Mechanical kit 4731
Z-Axis Acme Screw Upgrade / Makita RT0701C / Re-enforced Y and X-Axis / External Belts on Y / Extrusion work top

NormanF

Post by NormanF » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 am

My understanding was that most threaded rod is not perfectly straight so one end should be free to not induce any x wobble. Are you seeing any of that?

The funny thing is you guys are looking for bigger printers while I have a fairly large one (Ultimax from Ultibots) and looking to build a smaller one to go with it.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.