ShapeOko Cigar Box Tool kit

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

ShapeOko Cigar Box Tool kit

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 am

You can see all the errant bits here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... -tools.jpg (the pycam generated file wasn't that great, foam kep getting wrapped around the end mill, &c.)

Tomorrow I'll go get some adhesive craft foam or felt for the lid, or maybe I'll just use a silicon-impregnated cloth.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Enraged

Re: ShapeOko Cigar Box Tool kit

Post by Enraged » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm

I'd suggest that you make it from a softwood once your design is complete, and then flock it for that finished look. I picked up some flock for my car from here, same stuff you can use in boxes: http://www.flockit.com/

Lee Valley also sells it, they usually have everything in stock.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

I actually picked up a chunk of basswood at the local big-box craft's shop and was considering that last night. Not wild about it from a weight standpoint, but might try balsa wood if I can get a large enough chunk, and also not wild about the chemicals in the adhesive (but on consideration, can't be any worse than the smell of melting plastic when milling foam when the stuff gets twined around the bit).

Probably the best thing to do would be to use natural wool felt for a lining --- it's small enough that won't be terribly expensive.

So, I'll re-visit this a ways down the road. (Sometime after I replace the hex keys w/ nicer ones w/ ball-ends as previously discussed)

Thanks!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:05 am

Came across some flocking in the clearance aisle at the local crafts store --- turned out quite nicely:

After cutting, painted the interior green, then sprayed w/ 3M 77 spray adhesive, then put in a zip-lock bag w/ the flocking and shook. Attached the felt w/ double-sided tape. All the (OpenSCAD) files are here in the forums

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:08 am

Hey Will, Your flocking reminded me of this. You may have already seen it, but this is a one day build by Adam Savage (Mythbusters) building a Bladerunner gun case. While not a CNC job, it does involve flocking 8-) . I love watching folks with skills build stuff, it provides wonderful insights as to workflow. (and it's is edited well too)
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks! not much for on-line videos (maybe I'll change my ways when I have a machine faster than 933MHz), but the stills were interesting --- the amazing thing to me is how much I have left (shouldn't've mixed all the colours).