Just Enlarged my Shapeoko with some UpGrades

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
JuiceBox

Just Enlarged my Shapeoko with some UpGrades

Post by JuiceBox » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in but I just wanted to post some photos of my recent ShapeOko Improvements.
What I bought:
Basic mechanical parts, plus Grbl and 18x24x3/4th MDF board

What I upgraded to:
Y-axis to 24in
X-axis to ~18in using Open Rail and 40x40mm Misumi extrusion
20mm Frame
24in INRCA Hold Down channels

Feel free to post comments and questions. There will be more pictures and upgrades to come, I just took these with my cellphone so sorry if they aren't the best.

(On my computer the photos look huge so I included the link to the ablum. Please let me know if there is a better/propper way to upload the photos.
Album---> http://imgur.com/a/dQ2cT

Last edited by JuiceBox on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuiceBox

Re: Just Enlarged my Shapeoko with some UpGrades

Post by JuiceBox » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 am

Little update, I can't figure out the photo issue for the life of me so I'm giving up on that. In other news however, I cut 1/8inch 6061 Aluminum this afternoon. With AMAZING ACCURACY!! (The part was supposed to be 2inches sq and it came out at 1.999 x 1.998 )I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to post them properly. In any case, hope you all enjoy!

With help from WillAdams, I was able to upload the photos to a reasonable size so I hope this enhances your viewing experience. ;) Thanks Again!

-Brian

Last edited by JuiceBox on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:12 am

I find it easiest to upload to the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Upload

Then link an appropriate size here:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/images/thumb/7/71/Wfa_shapeoko_ziptie_cable-mgmnt_mk-iii.JPG/320px-Wfa_shapeoko_ziptie_cable-mgmnt_mk-iii.JPG[/img]
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 am

Ooooooh Thank you! It may take a bit longer than I expected but I think, but I can work with this! :D

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 am

Looks great!

Using the extrusion instead of open end plates is an interesting idea, which I don't recall having seen before. I hope you'll document that and your belt anchors on the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

JuiceBox, I like your frame very, very much. Do you think it's stronger than the original machine? Any difficulties getting it aligned? Can we have a detail image of your belt anchors?
WillAdams wrote:Using the extrusion instead of open end plates is an interesting idea, which I don't recall having seen before.
I've mentioned using extrusion instead of end plates before (it was long ago). In fact, when I made the belt anchors for the eShapeOko, I did them with that in mind too. I plan to sell them in my store, in pairs, with a tensioner (teal in the image below), exactly for this. I have two designs: one for belt-on-top (yellow), and one for two different belt-on-the-side positions (olive green). The anchors also mount directly at the ends of a piece of MakerSlide, for things like camera sliders. Admittedly, the yellow one would not have worked for this frame design, which is why I'm curious to see what JuiceBox came up with.
Belt anchors.png
Belt anchors.png (13.09 KiB) Viewed 10207 times
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 pm

OK, So I just whipped up a quick diagram in Solidworks for you folks who are interested in the belt tensioner. It works very well and if you need more information on how to make it (assuming you have the means to) I can shoot you .stl, .dxf. files or anything in between to help you out. The whole setup requires:

5 Printed parts
2 M3x30mm Sockethead Capscrews (SHCS)
2 M3 nuts
2 M3 Washers
12 M5x10 SHCS (For two of the M5 SHCS, I recommend getting low profile heads from Openrail, it's not required but it makes for a cleaner build)
12 M5 T-slot nuts
1 10-24 Eye bolt
1 10-24 Nylok nut
14 M5 Washers (these will also work with the Eyebolt)
2 2020 HFS Misumi Extrusions
(Let me know if I missed something)

In any case, as the drawing shows, when you tighten the nut on the eye bolt, it pulls on the belt. Very little force is need since there is a slight pulley system in effect here. The belt feeds through the motor and pulley system as it normally would and it is clamped at either end using 2mm (I think) Zipties(cable ties) [Make sure the teeth of the belt are locked together! ]

If there's anything I missed with the drawing or whatever. Let me know and I'll update the information as soon as I can. Now onto the frame...
JuiceBox, I like your frame very, very much. Do you think it's stronger than the original machine? Any difficulties getting it aligned? Can we have a detail image of your belt anchors?
First, getting the frame built took a bit longer than I had expected but I had ordered Misumi's kit which came in at the wrong dimensions which set me back a couple days. The frame costs about 100-120 bucks with all bolts, nuts and brackets included. I don't necessarily recommend their kit but it might save you a couple bucks, and, if you can follow their confusing diagram you should be fine. Just remember they measure from the outside of the frame, not the volume of the frame which is what I was thinking originally.

Rigidity: If I did my math right, this frame should offer a substantial gain in rigidity (strength) over the basic steel plates. The main reason is that the forces are spread out across a number of members instead of just the two. Additionally, there are thicker and more rigid corner joints with this method verses just two M5 SHCSs.

Alignment: When I built the frame, I built it on a Black & Decker portable table. What I didn't realize, was that it was crooked and I made everything 'flush' to the table. I then moved it back to my work bench to finish the build and I found that the frame was teetering on two corners (kinda like a bar stool does when two legs are longer than the other two). I started to check and measure everything and after about 10 minutes of doing that I got fed up and hit each corner with a mallet. I got 3 thunks and on the 4th I got a loud thud. I shook the frame again and it didn't move at all. So, in affect, one vertical extrusions wasn't aligned properly and whacking it with a mallet, fixed it. (I did some other minor adjusting as well but nothing worth noting). As for tramming and aligning the y-axis perpendicular to the x-axis I have not done but I know it needs it. Fist, since I am using the stock Shapeoko spindle clamps, the DeWalt 660 doesn't sit 100% vertical in the mount since the body has a taper to it. So I'm going to need to shim the upper bracket just a hair to fix this. Since I use this machine solely for x-y hole plotting, this isn't much of a concern to me but I'll fix it never the less. As for the y vs x axis alignment. I still need to drill 2 holes on both y-axis motor plates so I can fully secure the 4040 extrusion. Once this is done, I believe that the y-axis will be perpendicular to the x-axis.

Wiki:
I hope you'll document that and your belt anchors on the wiki.
If you explain to me how, I have no problem doing so.

Edit: Just noticed a typo in the drawing, the 18 inches should be 24 inches.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Thank you for the image and the detailed write-up!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks!

I linked in your posts to the wiki. If you want to add more:

- make an account on the wiki
- go to http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... sion_Frame
- edit that section to make an internal link, something like, ``More details on the [[Extrusion Frame]].
- save the edit
- click on the red link to create the page
- upload images and support material (you may need to add a .txt extension to get around filetype limitations)

Let me know if you need further details.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Very nice, very inspiring.... If I didn't already buy a bunch of extrusion for another design, then this would have been the way I would have gone..

Congrats on a great looking machine! (I hope to build out mine soon.... )

Cheers
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...