Box Joint End Table

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
nfortosis

Box Joint End Table

Post by nfortosis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Made a simple end table in Autodesk Inventor. Used stained pine project panels for the top and bottom and 3/4" MDF for the sides. Added some hairpins legs off Etsy and was good to go!

Shapeoko #165: 1m X 1m, Double X, Dual Y motors, Acme upgrade, DW660

wile_e_coyote

Re: Box Joint End Table

Post by wile_e_coyote » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 pm

That is awesome. I love it.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Ing Chao

Post by Ing Chao » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:09 pm

I can dig it!

More pics, please!
'Oko #1153- D Extended Y axis-1000mm. Dual X axis makerslide-900mm Nema 23 X and Y axis motors. Arduino Uno and Grbl shield controller running on 24v.

nfortosis

Post by nfortosis » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 am

More Pictures:

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:48 am

Looks great, nice work.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

bluecamel

Post by bluecamel » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:59 am

Did you chisel out the corners? I'm looking to do this myself but not sure how to get a sharp corner with a round bit. Thanks!
Shapeoko 2 ..::.. DW660 with 3d printed mounts, HDPE version of IC's dust shoe

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:47 am

You can't get a sharp corner w/ a round bit in all axes. Options:

- rotate the work so that one can use the bottom and vertical edges of the end mill to create the 90 degrees needed
- re-design the work so that the rounded corner is hidden w/in the work, e.g., half-blind dovetails cut w/ a router using a template
- over-cut the corners, there's some discussion of that in the booklet mentioned at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... her_Joints and http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... abrication
- use a chisel --- discussion of that here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... sel#p10194
- use some other tool such as a file
- re-work the design so that it can be cut w/ a V-bit which can lift up out of a cut in such a way as to leave a near 90 degree angle
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

nfortosis

Post by nfortosis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:04 am

I used a chisel to square the corners. It took way longer than I thought it would. I have been trying to figure out a way to do the rotation Will mentioned as that would be the most effective (you could probably manage some other pretty awesome joints with that setup too). I will probably try and cut a notch though my work surface.

bluecamel

Post by bluecamel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:11 am

Thanks for the info, folks. Unfortunately, most of it (aside from the chisel) is over my head at the moment. I clearly need to do some more reading!
Shapeoko 2 ..::.. DW660 with 3d printed mounts, HDPE version of IC's dust shoe

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Here is a project that I found that may help with your dilemma: link

I have never created anything with CNC equipment, but since I just ordered my SO2, I figured I should start looking around for projects to undertake. This may or may not help, but it should be worth looking at.

Note: as an aside, I was thinking of how to mill the joints in the way that Will mentioned in his post (" - rotate the work so that one can use the bottom and vertical edges of the end mill to create the 90 degrees needed"). The way that I came up with, conceptually, as least, is to have a hole/gap in your wasteboard, with a vise or something underneath (I found this online: link but it seems to be unavailable, and I have a similar craft-sized workbench by Wolfcraft, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore). Anyway, if you had your SO2 on a set of sawhorses, with a height adjustable work-table underneath (something like this from Wolfcraft), you could clamp your object in there so that the sides/ends are able to get milled with a standard end-mill). I know that this may not be possible with the wasteboards that many have created out of extrusions, etc, but where there is a will, there is a way I suppose....
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)