VCarve Bar Sign

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
dataway

VCarve Bar Sign

Post by dataway » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:29 pm

My friend asked for a Sign to put in his bar of his favorite beer so I used Aspire to import the graphics and generate the VCarve tool paths to generate this sign.
\r\n
\r\nI used a 90 Deg VCarve bit cut into 1/4" MDF and a 1/8" end mill to cut it out. I used Opaque Airbrush paints and my trusty airbrush to lay in the color then sealed it with 4 coats of Shellac.
\r\n
\r\n

This is the actual rendering from Aspire
IMG_1924.JPG
3D Rendering of the Job prior to milling.
IMG_1924.JPG (74.84 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

PsyKo

Re: VCarve Bar Sign

Post by PsyKo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 pm

It's great !

Too bad aspire is so expensive. I love this kind of V Carved signs
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 pm

How did you manage to keep the different colours from overlapping, is there a handy tip for it or just your ninja skilz?
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

criznach

Post by criznach » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:45 pm

PsyKo wrote:Too bad aspire is so expensive. I love this kind of V Carved signs
There is a plugin for CamBam, and at least one open source alternative. Maybe not as easy to use or as powerful, but I've had good luck with the CamBam plugin.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Somehow, I never noticed that there was only one 2.5D program listed which wasn't for engraving:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAM#2.5D

I should do something about that....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ztil

Post by ztil » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:26 am

criznach wrote: but I've had good luck with the CamBam plugin.
Searched they forums, but could not find a vcarve plugin. Is it called something else?

dataway

Post by dataway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:57 am

Hey thanks for all the positive feedback my buddy really liked the sign as his birthday present and is now hung in his man cave.. :D

@RobCee - I have to say it was not Mad Ninja Skills but a good airbrush helps and allows me to paint a very fine line and with a steady hand and patience I was able to keep the colors separated. I used a small paint shield to help keep the white out of the red letters and the same when i painted the red, but was a slow and tedious process :)

My workflow was to paint the large red areas first trying the best I could to keep any red out of the area of the white outline. I then sprayed the thin white outline and when that dried I took the sander to it and this was the final product.

Regards,

John
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:02 am

Great work. I'd hang that in my bar for sure.
Can you tell me more about the aspire workflow? How much does this software cost?
I'd love to be able to make carvings like that.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:09 pm

ztil wrote:Searched they forums, but could not find a vcarve plugin. Is it called something else?
They call it VEngrave and you can grab it here
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

dataway

Post by dataway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:28 pm

@chmodh - A seat of Aspire is I believe $1995 you can download a trial copy on the vectric website. The work flow is fairly simple all work is done in Aspire from designing in 2D, 2.5D and 3D. For the Vcarve sign I downloaded a jpeg image for the artwork and in aspire there is a function to trace bitmap to generate vectors. The Vcarve depth is based on the order of vectors so after the vectors are created I switch over and generate the tool paths for the Vcarve bit and run a simulation to check for areas that are too deep or not deep enough. I then go back and make edits to my vectors until I render what I feel is right . I then generate any other tool paths required such as the profile to cut out the part then export my tool paths. I then use Universal Gcode Sender to send the tool paths to my SO2. Note I do have to make tool changes and I have homing setup with my SO2 using mechanical limit switches and that has worked really well. other than that I can say that the software is very easy to use and has a very intuitive interface.