Business Sign

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
cchristianson

Business Sign

Post by cchristianson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:25 pm

V-Carved and Infilled sign for my brother-inlaw\'s business.  I also originally suggested that name for his business and created the logo.  He owes me!   Wood is mahogany. 

DevinTX

Re: Business Sign

Post by DevinTX » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Very Nice
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Looks great. Can you give us the details of the workflow and software involved?
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

cchristianson

Post by cchristianson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I used Adobe Illustrator to design the logo. When finished with the final artwork, you want to convert/expand all text items into curves (meaning it is no longer editable text, but vector shapes as far as the program is concerned). I then save that file as an .AI or a .PDF. I use Vectrics Aspire for my cam software, which can load dxf's, ai's, and pdf's. I have found that any file made in illustrator should be saved as an ai or pdf instead of exported as a dxf, otherwise your curves will turn into polylines containing tons of tiny segments, which can slow everything down drastically later on. After a successful import I generate the toolpath using the V-carving command in aspire. That is really about it.... a real time saver is to flood your work piece with vinyl, and then v-carve through that. The downward cut of the bit will not cause any frays and will result in a very clean mask. After it has all been carved you can just slop on your paint and peel off the mask!

more sign examples here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

dataway

Post by dataway » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:43 am

Very Nice , I enjoy Aspire it is a great product. What kind of wood is that ? Where do you get the vinyl mask you mention in your post.

Thanks

John
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.