Need some project advice

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
awesomename

Need some project advice

Post by awesomename » Fri May 16, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm thinking of making something for the wife and was thinking about milling a cutting board out of some sort of wood and or/HDPE

I was actually thinking of doing an hdpe inlay on the inside of one side and making the profile out of some sort of wood. Can someone recommend a good wood for this as well as an endmill that would work well for it? Are they food safe glues I can use that will stand up to the abuse and washing?

Any help is appreciated!

Enraged

Re: Need some project advice

Post by Enraged » Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I can't help with the glues, but I like using bamboo cutting boards.

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Fri May 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Enraged wrote:I can't help with the glues, but I like using bamboo cutting boards.
What would you recommend for an endmill for cutting the bamboo(plywood im assuming). Do you stain it at all?

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Glues may be the tough part on this one. Not a whole lot sticks to HDPE well enough to last long term.

It has been a while since I have worked much with it, so hopefully someone can chime in and prove me wrong-- or hopefully your local plastic supply shop can recommend some specifically formulated adhesives that will work.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm

As far as I know, that's still the case. There are no solvent glues that work with HDPE and LDPE, and the alternatives are weak and temporary (double-sided adhesive tape is one of the better options...). About the only thing you can do with HDPE is weld it, and then only to itself.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 pm

I think i will either end up making it from entirely bamboo ply, or make the hdpe a press fit.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri May 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Actually, out of curiosity, I looked around a bit, and there seem to be a few solutions. One is a cyanoacrylate adhesive with a special primer that makes it bond HDPE, but it's not dishwasher-safe (Loctite Plastics Bonding System). There are also a few epoxy adhesives (e.g. EpoWeld 3243) that work with specially prepared HDPE (either abraded with sandpaper, or flame-treated). Still, it seems much easier to inlay bamboo with bamboo of a different color, for instance.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat May 17, 2014 12:30 am

Maple is very stable as is oak. I have not worked with HDPE so I can't advise there. One problem with any adhesive between a plastic and wood is that wood expands and contracts and many adhesives loose there grip. I intend to do some inlay in some cutting boards later this summer. The cutting boards will be laminated from various widths of hardwood and then some contrasting wood inlay. Design to be determined later. I use Tightbond II or III for all my cutting boards and tell customers to hand wash only.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 17, 2014 12:37 am

I wouldn't do any sort of dis-similar materials as a permanently joined unit --- too much likelihood of difficulty cleaning at the joint --- instead, design some clever sort of holder / rack / drawer which the cutting board rests on top of or something.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat May 17, 2014 2:45 am

I am not sure on the food safe aspect, but have you considered a pour in epoxy based filler? You can dye them various colors and pour it to fill in over your design. I made some parts like this for silicon molds, and with this method you can design in interlocking parts that will not separate even with age.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME