Parametric planter box

Share your Shapeoko created projects!

Parametric planter box

Postby paulkaplan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:54 pm

I've been making some finger joint boxes recently but have gotten very frustrated with needing to change the design for every different material thickness, etc. So I figured id give parametric design a shot. My first attempt was using the 2d tools in openSCAD but that was way overkill and I still needed to convert from DXF to SVG to cam it. Being a developer I used JavaScript instead, and made up this little GUI if anyone wants to make their own. It saves svg files out of the browser.

http://paulkaplan.me/designs/planter.html

Finished product:
http://imgur.com/GMYwgk8

How do other people deal with having to change their designs when the actual material dimensions change? Naive question, I know.
Last edited by paulkaplan on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Kaplan — Easel Developer at Inventables
paulkaplan

Re: Parametric planter box

Postby WillAdams » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 pm

I use a drawing program (FreeHand) which makes changes such as that pretty straight-forward.

There are some CAD tools which are described as being parametric listed on the wiki though.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby SmokyRick » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:08 pm

I use a program called ProgeCAD. It is a paid for program but I bought it a few years ago. I do cad at work every day so I have no trouble with it. It is almost the same as Autocad. Changes are part of the life of an engineer. We just have to get used to it. Guess I did.
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.
SmokyRick

Postby Will Winder » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 pm

I've been using OpenSCAD for parametric 3D printed things, I was really surprised at how shallow the learning curve was. For CNC projects I haven't had as much success. Basically its difficult to flatten a multi layer 3D object into a single DXF (i.e. cutting a border and adding some pockets, or cutting a border and some rabbit/dado joints).
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.
Will Winder

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm

Will Winder wrote:I've been using OpenSCAD for parametric 3D printed things, I was really surprised at how shallow the learning curve was. For CNC projects I haven't had as much success. Basically its difficult to flatten a multi layer 3D object into a single DXF (i.e. cutting a border and adding some pockets, or cutting a border and some rabbit/dado joints).

Have you tried Skeinforge for slicing OpenSCAD objects for milling? I think it works well for 2.5D stuff. It's not "proper" CAM, so it's not as flexible, but it looks like it can do basic stuff. (I've never used it myself, but I came across this use a while ago.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Return to Member Projects