Ring Box

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
joetemus

Ring Box

Post by joetemus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:04 am

Hey guys,

If any of you browse Reddit, more than likely you probably saw the ring box I created with my Shapeoko. To quote what I said in the discussion board on this forum, this was the first project I made with the Shapeoko, although I did a few small things while making this as little distractions, so I know its not perfect. Here is the full build log:
http://imgur.com/a/mKv9W

I also want to give credit to the guy who gave me the idea (http://www.reddit.com/user/curtisabrina)(http://imgur.com/a/mskl7?gallery) as I probably reverse engineered it a little too closely. His is muuucchh cleaner and thought out, but he also was a professional machinist, with professional tools.

Winston Moy also interviewed me for a blog post here on Shapeoko's website, Check it out!:
http://www.shapeoko.com/blog/archives/1337

About the wood and hardware, I currently have an order in to McMaster for some good torx head bolts and screws that should really make this looked cleaned up. The only reason it wasn't on there when I posted it originally is because I finished it at 1:30 am the morning I proposed to her, so although McMaster is fast... They aren't quite that fast. For the wood, I know I screwed up there. I thought hey, why speed all this money on wood when I have piles of it right here (my family burns wood in the winter to heat our house). I hope that this is dry enough since its been sitting for about a year in a wood shed that has a roof. I'm just praying that it doesn't split completely in half. I guess if it does I can buy a good piece of wood and "just push play" and have a new one.

Also Cosmo ran an article on this, and unfortunately left out the fact that I was using a shapeoko cnc machine.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/ne ... 0_84823021

If you guys have any questions or comments I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Joe

Woodworker

Re: Ring Box

Post by Woodworker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Joe, read the Winston interview and your build log. This was an amazing process. I really do like the look of this piece both external and the gears. How long since the box was finished and does it look like it will split more? Looking at the end grain, I am guessing that it will warp more than split.

If you have woodworking questions in the future please PM me, I am happy to help when I can.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

joetemus

Post by joetemus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey woodworker,

I finished and proposed on labor day. I do have one question for you. Where can I get a block of quality wood that's thick enough (2.5") the next time I want to build something like this? I'm looking to do something next year for our wedding that holds two rings, and I'd need a similar thickness of wood.

I have no idea whether it looks like it will split more. I dont have much woodworking experience so I don't really know how to check.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Find a local lumber yard if possible.

Failing that, order from one which does on-line ordering, posting photos of their inventory --- Hearne Hardwoods is one such: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

Before doing this, realize the lumber is sold by the board foot, and look up how that is calculated.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Before doing this, realize the lumber is sold by the board foot, and look up how that is calculated.
Other than 1 board foot = 1 sq ft x 1 in = 144 cubic inches (or 2,360 cm^3), is there anything subtler that I'm missing?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Cat, that is the definition but most lumber in the us is sold S4S (surfaced 4 sides) at least at home centers and the average lumber yard. Now even amoung rough saw lumber dealers they can calculate it either before being resawn into boards or after. Some places will deduct some for the bark edge if there is one and some will deduct for serious defects. You really have to know the yard you are working with and what they are going to charge you for.

Joetemus, depends on where you are and 2 1/2" would be unusual to find, here in the US it is 4/4 (4 quarters) or 8/4 or 12/4, that being 1,2 or 3 inches. I have never run across 10/4 stock. Since you have access to a table saw, there are easier ways to make the box (cheaper too!) and just machine the mechanism pieces. Where are. You located?
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Correction gross tally is after cutting. It before drying. Here is a link explaining it from the company I buy from all the time. They also have a board foot calculator link on the home page.

http://thehardwoodstore.wordpress.com/2 ... oss-tally/

WanderingFool

Post by WanderingFool » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Joe,

Awesome Box! This project just got added to my someday build list. Have you considered sharing your design files? I wouldn't know how to begin designing the iris mechanism.

Doug
Shapeoko 2 #5066, build in progress

mmorlan62

Post by mmorlan62 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:41 am

Very nicely done! And congrats! She said yes. :)
Shapeoko 2 + Bosch Colt mount . PreciseBits ER20 1/8" & 1/4" collets . stock electronics in a custom control box.

joetemus

Post by joetemus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:22 pm

I wont post my designs quite yet. I want this box to be special for my fiance, and if there's a bunch more that start popping up it wouldn't be the same. If anyone wants to go through the work of designing their own I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about it.

Also, There are a few cad designs for mechanical iris's out there. I used one, and tweaked it to my own design. I dont remember where I got it from though, as it was a long time ago.