Chili Cook Off Trophy using F Engrave

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Targus

Chili Cook Off Trophy using F Engrave

Post by Targus » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Using F Engrave and CamBam, i designed and milled out a trophy for a chili cook off my work is hosting. F Engrave took a little figuring out to get it to work right, but in the end, I am pleased with the results.

dave_the_nerd

Re: Chili Cook Off Trophy using F Engrave

Post by dave_the_nerd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 am

Nice.

Did you make the ladle somehow too, or just paint one gold?
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

Ing Chao

Post by Ing Chao » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Very cool! I like the beveling on the edges of the front flame.

What bit did you use for the lettering? I haven't tried F engrave to cut anything yet but I when I do I'd like to minimize errors. Any tips you can give?
'Oko #1153- D Extended Y axis-1000mm. Dual X axis makerslide-900mm Nema 23 X and Y axis motors. Arduino Uno and Grbl shield controller running on 24v.

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Is the program F-Envrave only for the engraving, or do you use it for the cutting also? If not, what else do you use for the outline cutting, etc.
Thanks
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

Targus

Post by Targus » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:01 pm

dave_the_nerd wrote:Nice.

Did you make the ladle somehow too, or just paint one gold?
I bought the ladle at walmart and painted it gold.
Ing Chao wrote:Very cool! I like the beveling on the edges of the front flame.

What bit did you use for the lettering? I haven't tried F engrave to cut anything yet but I when I do I'd like to minimize errors. Any tips you can give?
The bit i used was a 60degree V shaped bit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E49 ... UTF8&psc=1). F engrave was a little hard to work with. the first program ran fine, but the letters were to small. I finally figured out how to get the letters the right size, but the gcode was throwing up errors. modified the gcode by hand to get the errors to go away, but then the z axis would not retract to the safe distance for rapid movements. had to modify the gcode again to fix the z axis issue. I'm sure there are probably some settings i have wrong. I will have to play around with it some more and see if i can get it figured out.
SmokyRick wrote:Is the program F-Envrave only for the engraving, or do you use it for the cutting also? If not, what else do you use for the outline cutting, etc.
Thanks
F engrave only does letter engraving (and designs as well, like flowers or leaves). I used CamBam to mill the flame shaped outlines.