New Acrylic Dust Shoe

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
cmcta82

New Acrylic Dust Shoe

Post by cmcta82 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi,

i am a proud owner of an Eshapeoko since april 2014 i think, i have done some projects with plywood essentially gifts for last christmas and i have learning a lot in CAD,CAM and CNC world with your help:) for my projects in plywood i have always used inkscape and easel, very easy to understand for beginners like me:).

Now i´m using for the first time Fusion 360 for CAD and CAM and i´m designing a new dust shoe for my kress 800, it´s not easy but i´m working on it for the last weeks...i´m ready to cut the first part but i went to know if every thing is ok, i will cut the first version in a plywood sheet to see if my design is ok but i have some doubt´s in cutting acrylic:

- 5mm acrylic Polymethylmethacrylate, from what i see in internet it´s casted acrylic.
- I will use a Solid tungsten carbide CC ALUSPEED® COATED milling bit for aluminum cutting - double flute and flat end cut 3.175mm

- in Fusion my configuration for all cuts are: Spindle speed 15000rpm, cutting feedrate 1250mm/min, ramp feedrate 333 mm/min and 0.4mm for each pass, i based this configuration from what i see from another users in this forum.

My design are based in three parts: top Fixed in Spindle mount, a removable top fixed with magnets and the lower part. I will start cutting the lower part because is the more easy to do. the removable top part have to be machined in two sides...i have to find a way to do that.

attached is the image of my dust shoe i design in fusion.
Attachments
Imagem sem título.jpg
Dust Shoe for Kress
Imagem sem título.jpg (198.55 KiB) Viewed 2123 times

cmcta82

Re: New Acrylic Dust Shoe

Post by cmcta82 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:57 am

I will Start today with the lower part in plywood, but i have a few problems with cam feature from what i see in openscam...

cmcta82

Post by cmcta82 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Just to say for the first cut im very happy, about the design i have to change some things because i made some mistake in my toolpath. The cutting process works very well, i used the settings from my first post just changed the plunge feedrate to 100 and i use water in the workpiece and i think help a lot to get a nice cut, i can share some pictures.

Cjm_warrior

Post by Cjm_warrior » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am

I like this design, does not show clearly how it will attach but I guess it does not float!

The cad software looks pretty cool, I use Sketchup and I am reluctant to use anything else as I can make absolutely anything I want in Sketchup, its not a hobby its used proffessionally for Architecture,Products and Exhibition design.

When I finally jump down off the fence and buy an Shapeoko or eShapeoko (before they have realeased maybe a Shapeoko5 :lol: ) my first project will be a dust shoe as mess and noise is the two main issues I see with a cnc.. I need to work out how to tackle the noise next! thinking a sound proof enclosure, but I need something for the hoover aswell :D

Back to your topic (sorry) I may be wrong and I am sure others will comment very soon but I think the rpm needs to be lower for the acrylic compared to the plywood unless you want it to heat up and go all gooey on your drill bit :)

Great stuff, any pictures of it in real life yet??

cmcta82

Post by cmcta82 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi cjm_warrior, i only make a test with the lower part, for the cutting process im very happy with the cut, i think the water in the acrylic sheet helps a lot( i stole the idea from another user in the forum) for the rpm i can lower a little but i think is OK. Its not in the design but i will put a an acrylic sheet with 0.5mm deep and 20mm or 30mm height between top and lower part. I continue with some problems making the toolpath with fusion in my open pocket. Im watching some tutorials in YouTube to ser if i can resolve it:) im planning to do more cuts this weekend and i will share some pictures.

Cjm_warrior

Post by Cjm_warrior » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Ok, sounds good.

Would like to see how it turns out as I want some ideas for my project haha

cmcta82

Post by cmcta82 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm

After a few videos in YouTube i was able to perform correctly my toolpath and i have the first part for my dust show:)

ImageImageImage

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Looking good...... Cant wait to see your results.
I think I tried 4 different designs and still may to another update to my dust shoe before all is said and done... :-)
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

cmcta82

Post by cmcta82 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm

I finally Finnish my dust shoe, i have to do some improvement in the next version:)ImageImage

Like you can see the glue is not the best option:(

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Who cares what it looks like, if it works? :)

I see you added side shields to your eShapeoko, and the hold-down table looks very nice too!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk