I made a stool! Or bench... Tiny table?

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
GoatFarm

I made a stool! Or bench... Tiny table?

Post by GoatFarm » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:05 pm

Made with cheap, big box birch plywood. I also forgot to measure the actual thickness, leading to a few gaps. It also needs some extra support halfway down the legs. But I think it finished nicely!

Its 18 inches high, seat is 12x15.

Shapeoko 2 - 1m X 1m - Nema 23 X&Y - Tinyg - Other things that help it do what it do

Gadgetman!

Re: I made a stool! Or bench... Tiny table?

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:21 pm

Simple and elegant design. I like it!

Is it a stackable design?
(Since the inside distance between the legs is shorter than the width of the seat, I assume that if you wanted to stack them, you'd have to rotate the one on top 90degrees to sit across the one on the bottom. But is it possible to add a number 3 or 4 to the stack?)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

GoatFarm

Post by GoatFarm » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:39 pm

I think I got too excited about making it and overlooked a lot of things. Version 2 should be stackable in some way. I'd like to create a version with a seat back as well
Shapeoko 2 - 1m X 1m - Nema 23 X&Y - Tinyg - Other things that help it do what it do

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 pm

It's too d@mn easy to get excited about these things... ;-)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Great design. Something that might look good for v2 is to continue the slats down the legs, and maybe vary their width. That would make it much stiffer as well.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

Cjm_warrior

Post by Cjm_warrior » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:08 am

Beacuse the legs shorten and seem to angle outwards this looks pretty stackable to me, the second would be 90 degrees as gadgetman mentioned and then the 3rd is placed like the original, I guess that would also help being able to lift them off again without accidentally grabbing more then you want at any one time.

I did wonder if a shapeoko is big enough to create furniture albeit not great things like a sofa as I see alot of boxes etc :)

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Even with a stock SO2 you have pass thru capability. With that and indexing holes you can make infinitly long pieces. If you expand the machine to handle full width of plywood you can do full sheets. I think the possibilities endless.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Cjm_warrior

Post by Cjm_warrior » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Woodworker wrote:Even with a stock SO2 you have pass thru capability. With that and indexing holes you can make infinitly long pieces. If you expand the machine to handle full width of plywood you can do full sheets. I think the possibilities endless.
Thats actually quite interesting! currently in a house move and just about to go on holiday but on my return I am looking to get an Eshapeoko and I have been looking at a 1000x 1500 deluxe unit. which would give me 800x1200 max work space, I am unfamiliar with the term pass through capability but if I base my designs on the 1200 side then I could in theory make infinity long pieces on half sheets! now that is something I will read up.. I am sure Will has a wiki page on it.. thankyou for the information you might have set me off on something haha

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 pm

The total travel of the 1000 mm x 1500 mm eShapeoko is 835 mm on the X axis and 1335 mm on the Y axis. Unfortunately, the open sides are the narrower ones, so the widest material you can pass through is about 925 mm wide (of which 835 mm can be cut). You can assemble your machine with the long axis as the gantry, but I think you'd be unhappy with the lack of rigidity -- and you'd need different lengths of extrusion for the "deluxe" frame, too, which I'd have to order especially for you, and a couple other small changes to the kit. Unless you plan to reinforce the gantry (and to modify the X carriage to work on the wider rail assembly), or use a very light spindle for light-duty jobs, I'd stick with the short axis as the gantry -- much more rigid that way.

(Note that the restriction is not that the gantry must be the short axis, but that you can select the 1500 mm rail only for the Y axis. This is intentional. The gantry can not have mid-span supports like the Y axis. Because of this, the longest X axis I'm comfortable with is 1000 mm. Several customers have ordered "wide" machines: 1000 mm x 750 mm, 750 mm x 500 mm, and even one or two 1000 mm x 500 mm; but most people go for the Y axis longer than the X, and almost as many choose square machines.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Defy

Post by Defy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:32 am

https://www.opendesk.cc/designs

I want to make a machine that will do 4x8 just so I can feed it full sheets to do stuff off the open desk site.