DSLR Camera Slider

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
MeanderBolt

Re: DSLR Camera Slider

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed May 20, 2015 2:45 am

First few shots out of a mounted camera with the automated slider at various speeds. I was out cooking brats for dinner, so I was just shooting the deck railing as it was right next to the grill. The camera plate has a little bounce that's a little bothersome, but this will be corrected once the new plate has been finished. While not exactly exciting footage, it does tell me that it's working well and as I tweak it, it will only get better. Once I get the microstepping working, it will be 3200 steps per revolution instead of the single full steps now. So, even smoother. Plus in todays test, there was no easing of the stops and starts, it was just a jerk into motion. Easing will accelerate from a stop into the speed I send it.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:40 pm

More updates....
I have made quite a lot of progress. It was time to get the electronics into some sort of mobile situation, and able to be controlled by something other than my computer. The question was how to control the slider and have enough flexibility to do all sorts of things I have not thought of. Being that I am not The Doctor, I can't see the future, so I needed something I could endlessly change that was not physical. So... I opted for a bit of kit I purchased a couple years ago which never got used. It's a touch screen fro 4D Systems which interfaces with an Arduino. It was a little tricky to get it working, but once I fiddled with it for a bit, I got it working.

Last edited by MeanderBolt on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 pm

This needed to be boxified, so I started working on the container.
Controller_Tape.jpg
Controller_Tape.jpg (245.07 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Controller_UnTaped.jpg
Controller_UnTaped.jpg (231.35 KiB) Viewed 798 times
This is the stepper driver for the slider. I figured I would put up a picture of where things started from...
Base_Electronics.jpg
Base_Electronics.jpg (226.66 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:14 pm

It is quite a feat to get everything you want into too small of space. But I kept playing with it and eventually found a good place for it. I will be replacing the 4 x AA and 2 X AA battery holder for a 6 X AA holder. This should allow enough space to replace the Arduino with a Mega. This will give me extra serial ports so I can use an XBee to comunicate with another Arduinio (or this one for that matter) to control the pan and tilt.
Controller_Innards.jpg
Controller_Innards.jpg (266.03 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:27 pm

The slider plate needed to be replaced as the new rails were wider than the previous set. This meant that the old plate was too short and while it supported the camera, it caused everything to bounce. This was part of the plan, but made all to clear (see the first video tests video previously posted).
TopPlate_Milling.jpg
TopPlate_Milling.jpg (369.13 KiB) Viewed 791 times
I wanted the ability to screw things on to it at will, so I added holes all around the perimeter. The thing is, I have shifted my cad/milling work to millimeters. The slider was originally built in inches, on 1 inch square, steel tubes with holes spaces 1 inch apart. Several parts that I am ordering (belts, pulleys...) are also imperial. So... this is a horrible combination of both. So far it hasn't been an issue, but it will kill any resale value. Heh heh.
TopPlate_and_BeltBlocks.jpg
TopPlate_and_BeltBlocks.jpg (438.2 KiB) Viewed 791 times
It also needed to connect to the belt. (it's kind of the point, right?) So, I also designed this with belt blocks, one stationary, and one with long holes for tensioning the belt.
BeltBlocks_01.jpg
BeltBlocks_01.jpg (153.3 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:29 pm

BeltBlock_Holes.jpg
BeltBlock_Holes.jpg (173.19 KiB) Viewed 791 times
BeltBlocks_03.jpg
BeltBlocks_03.jpg (340.41 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Attachments
BeltBlock_Holes_02.jpg
BeltBlock_Holes_02.jpg (216.09 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Lastly... I finally got up the nerve to try something for silly's sake... add a personal logo.
MYX_Logo_Milling_02.jpg
MYX_Logo_Milling_02.jpg (147.25 KiB) Viewed 792 times
MYX_Logo_01.jpg
MYX_Logo_01.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:38 pm

Realized that I never put up the picture of the (almost) finished controller.
Controller_Closed.jpg
Controller_Closed.jpg (204.19 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:07 pm

And the project as it stands... (Yes, I will be getting some washers on the wing nuts, I just didn't have any when I put it together.)
TopPlate_Attached.jpg
TopPlate_Attached.jpg (469.11 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

So... The finger hole... I though it would be a good idea to place a hole on the plate so I could easily get at the tensioning belt plate. In theory, it is still a good idea. The problem is that... it turns out that fingers don't bend the way I though they would. I measured the width on my first finger, and added several millimeters. The problem is that the hole I put on the tensioning plate is too shallow, and I can barely get my finger in through the top, turned, and in to the tensioning plate. My fear is that if I really push to do this, I may become a permanent fixture to the slider. So, I am tensioning it from the side of the top plate for now. I don't think I want to risk trying to expend the hole on the top plate. Everything is clean right now, and I have a habit of making a mess of nice projects because I try to correct something that perhaps could stay as is. It was not hard to tension the belt from the side, so for now... it lives as it is.
Build log