More OrdBot Parts

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
SystemsGuy

Re: More OrdBot Parts

Post by SystemsGuy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the advice guys - I've got a spare motor and some GT2 belts laying around, I'll probably do the Y-Axis 2nd motor before having another go at the aluminum - and I do like the idea for a drilling layer and then using the drilled holes to mount the pieces - god know there are enough holes in the ordbot panels!

Brings up another subject, however - you just sending it back to 0,0 and doing the tool change, and then sending the new file after the tool change?

Oh, and I agree on the QU-BD - I sold one on, and will be trying Barts mod on my other one. Not really happy with 'em at all as shipped...

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm

This next piece is partly responsible for de-railing my OrdBot project for such a long time. It is the extruded carriage and is unique to the other parts due to a 90 degree bend. For a long time my plan was to make a small metal brake to bend along a groove cut by the table saw (as described in a link earlier in this thread). But last night it occurred to me to just cut the groove with the ShapeOko and try to bend it by hand. This much simpler solution worked great!

Right after the 22 minute job completed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358346227.115754.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358346227.115754.jpg (170.74 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
Clamped in my bench vise.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358346280.764192.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358346280.764192.jpg (165.9 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
The finished product.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358346377.622868.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358346377.622868.jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
Last edited by Will Winder on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Nice work here.

Can you provide spec for your milling ? spindle, RPM, feedrate, plunge rate, pass depth, endmill, any lub, shapeoko mod ??
Did you had any issue with the Z flex while changing depth ? So far I had issues with that point. Drilling a hole in aluminium with a standard mill is not satasfying for me right now. not sure why... Next time I think i'll have my Shapeoko to plunge outside the material, and start the cut from a side.
I'm asking because I will soon cut aluminium (10mm thick :( ) and I'm trying to gather feedbacks.

How wide and deep is the "bevel" for bending ?

Thanks a lot
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Spindle: Dewalt DW660, no speed control spec says 30k rpm
Feed: 300 mm/min
Plunge: 50 mm/min
Depth: 0.6 mm per pass (0.3 works very nicely, I think 0.6 is pushing it)
Lube: None
Endmill: 1/8" 2 flute (this one)
ShapeOko Mods: Dual-Y (required), extended Y axis (optional), belt on outside (optional).

The bevel for this bend is 1.6mm deep by 1/8" wide, which is about half way through the material.

Plunges into the aluminum with this endmill are a big problem, CamBam has an option called "Lead In Move", and setting it to "spiral" fixes most plunge issues. Some of the holes in this piece are a little irregular, because the plunge rate still seems to be too high.
Last edited by Will Winder on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Will Winder wrote:CamBam has an option called "Lead In Move"
I'll have to try it asap
Will Winder wrote:he plunge rate still seems to be too high.
Is the plunge rate used to go down but also to go up ? setting it lower will increase the milling time a lot. I think reducing it may reduce the issue. Even reducing pass depth on holes should help.

Edit : misread first quote...
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

nfortosis

Post by nfortosis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Is there significance to using a downcut bit for aluminum milling? I have been using an upcut bit for small jobs in 18 gauge 6061 Aluminum successfully, but am wondering if a downcut bit yields better performance.
Shapeoko #165: 1m X 1m, Double X, Dual Y motors, Acme upgrade, DW660

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Your extruder carriage looks a lot cleaner than mine.
I wound up making mine in 2 pieces, joined with a finger joint and jb-weld.
Still have some aluminum foil (trying to keep the jb-weld off my clamps) stuck on it in a few places :-)

I saw someone on buildlog.net had taken the 2-piece approach with the pieces bolted to some aluminum angle.

I will have to try using the lead-in move. I had been hesitant because I didn't know if it would help, and I didn't want to worry about whether the lead-in would travel outside of my work area (I tend to work fairly close to the bottom of my Y for convenience with my hold-down setup).
As it is, my 5mm and eccentric spacer holes were not round enough and I had to touch them up with the drill.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 pm

nfortosis wrote:Is there significance to using a downcut bit for aluminum milling? I have been using an upcut bit for small jobs in 18 gauge 6061 Aluminum successfully, but am wondering if a downcut bit yields better performance.
It looks like I linked the wrong endmill. The one I am using is an upcut, but no longer seems to be sold by drillman1 as a single. I updated the link to a 10-pack of endmills that he sells.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm

PsyKo wrote:
Will Winder wrote:CamBam has an option called "Lead In Move"
I'll have to try it asap
Will Winder wrote:he plunge rate still seems to be too high.
Is the plunge rate used to go down but also to go up ? setting it lower will increase the milling time a lot. I think reducing it may reduce the issue. Even reducing pass depth on holes should help.

Edit : misread first quote...
In the majority of cases the plunge rate is not used, only when plunging into small holes or moving up/down for the holding tabs is the plunge rate ever reached. For larger movements, like when cutting the outside profile, the z barely moves. For this job during the outside profile cut the z was moving at a rate of about 1 step per second.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:07 pm

roberlin wrote:Your extruder carriage looks a lot cleaner than mine.
I wound up making mine in 2 pieces, joined with a finger joint and jb-weld.
Still have some aluminum foil (trying to keep the jb-weld off my clamps) stuck on it in a few places :-)

I saw someone on buildlog.net had taken the 2-piece approach with the pieces bolted to some aluminum angle.

I will have to try using the lead-in move. I had been hesitant because I didn't know if it would help, and I didn't want to worry about whether the lead-in would travel outside of my work area (I tend to work fairly close to the bottom of my Y for convenience with my hold-down setup).
As it is, my 5mm and eccentric spacer holes were not round enough and I had to touch them up with the drill.
Thanks, I'm very happy with how it came out, especially since my stepper drivers had been overheating and missing steps recently. I just tried fitting an eccentric spacer in one of the holes, it barely fits unless I force it in, so I will still need to touch them up as well.

Do you have links to these other approaches and pictures of yours? I'm curious what others have done.

The lead-in move has a lot of options, some do what you are suggesting, but the 'spiral' option I'm recommending doesn't cut away anything which wouldn't already be cut.
Last edited by Will Winder on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.