My rubberband gun project.

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
clockit

My rubberband gun project.

Post by clockit » Sat May 02, 2015 6:11 am

Just about to complete my new rubberband gun and storage case and thought that I'd share a few photos for everyone. It's solid oak and the storage box is 10" x 7". I built the box so I could ship this old to a buddy of mine in Florida. This is probably my first complete project and boy did I learn a lot. Hope you enjoy the photos and I'd love to see any of the other 328 downloads that have been completed! :D
M9 f1.jpg
M9 f1.jpg (355.87 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
M9 f2.jpg
M9 f2.jpg (381.02 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
M9 f3.jpg
M9 f3.jpg (358.01 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

Gadgetman!

Re: My rubberband gun project.

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat May 02, 2015 10:52 am

Nice!

Have you considered 'flocking' the insert?
(Spraying on short plastic fibres to get a felt-like coating)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

TomO

Post by TomO » Sat May 02, 2015 11:37 am

Great work clockit. Was this project completed with your shapeoko?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James RS

Post by James RS » Sat May 02, 2015 12:45 pm

All I have is, Wow! I'd love to make that for my nephew. Awesome job

clockit

Post by clockit » Sat May 02, 2015 3:09 pm

First and foremost, thank you guys for the kind words. I'm pretty happy with the results for my first CNC project, well... besides the obvious 'first projects' of spindle mounts, dust boot, etc. The entire project was cut on my S2, having absolutely ZERO previous experience in the CNC world this was an ideal little project for me. I'm sure that I was like a lot of newbies with their new toy, I'd see something on here and I'd load a peice of scrap wood and dabble. However, as I learned, it's one thing to cut some grip checkering, or engrave a cool little saying on scrap wood when you're starting out, but, it's a whole other thing when you start trying to incorporate your newly learned skills into an actual project when you have to start considering size and depth of cuts, font style and size available, tool choice, and assembly issues. Like I said, I learned a lot and I won't try to convince anyone that this gun contains my first attempt at grips, slide, or even the frame. I know for a fact that the grips on this gun was the 4th set that I cut before I was happy with the results.

Like I said before, this was a cool little first project because it included various techniques, machining processes, and even a couple of mid job tool changes. I used Inkscape for all of my drawing, Estlcam for Gcode generation, and then Universal Gcode sender and the provided version of Grbl to actually cut the parts. My learning curve to this software was pretty steep, however, I'm feeling a lot more comfortable post project. I'm not going to lie, I screwed up material, broke a bit or two, and at times really felt like I had no clue as to what I was doing, but, I hung with it and feel so much more confident in my abilities moving forward. With that being said, I already realize that moving from a 2.5D cutting world to a true 3D machining process will be a lot steeper of a learning curve, but I'll get there...

Gadgetman, the box and it's design was an after thought. After I built the gun I was like "now how do I get it from Missouri to my buddy in Flordia in one peice?" Bubble wrap and chucking it a box full of styrofoam peanuts was not an option, my first project required a more grand entrance, lol. The flocking idea is great one because as you see in the photos that there is a visible seam in the felt for the lid. I built the entire box out of scraps, the felt I used are self adhesive peices that I cut and put on the bottom of my mantle clock builds. The interior of the box is leather that I cut from an old leather cut hanging in my closet, lol. For the gun cut out I cut the leather into thin strips, rolled the top and bottom edges and glued them to the cut out. This gave me enough allowance to get the gun in the cut out yet holds it snuggly enough that it won't fall out. I acutally have a leather insert for the lid that I opted not to use. It was padded as well with another emblem insert but I wasn't really happy with final product so now it lives in the 'box of extra parts that didn't make the cut' along with several other interesting and sometimes odd pieces that died the same fate, lol.

I was really happy with the wooden hinges that I made, I thought that it added something to it. I'm still comtemplating whether or not to put some kind of handle on it and type of latch to use. For now, I'm thinking that the latch I may just a couple of rare earth magnets, one in the lid and the other in the box. But I'm open to suggestions... I had originally bought these god awlful brass latches, the kind that you see on an ammo can, but they now live in my other box, the one titled 'things that I bought that seemed like a really good idea at the time but failed to make the cut', lol.... and yes, I have several weird boxes in my workshop... 8-)

Again, any thoughts, critiques, revisions, improvements, alternate material suggestions are welcomed and appreciated...
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

TomO

Post by TomO » Sat May 02, 2015 5:17 pm

I like it even more now that I have read the story behind it. My guess is your friend is going to be blown away by this gift.

How do your hinges work - do they have a metal rod holding the 2 parts together?

Also here is a possible option for a latch - I like the simple design & once it's unlatched then it would act as a handle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430586934.639059.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430586934.639059.jpg (118.12 KiB) Viewed 2854 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clockit

Post by clockit » Sat May 02, 2015 5:37 pm

LOVE the latch! It has all of the design elements I want to acheive, simple, elegant, and wood... thanks!

For the hinges, I love them... in hindsight I may have made them a little narrower but I don't hate what I have made. They are super simple to make, and I used 1/8" brass rod since I have a ton of that laying around for my clocks. Essentially the the outer portions of the hinge are drilled 1/8" for a tight press fit and the inner portion of the hinge is drill at 9/64" for smooth operation. Plus, if installed correctly, they have built in stops in the design.

I found the design on Woodcraft's site, here is a link http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Artic ... icleid=613

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat May 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Combine that wooden latch with magnets...

Also, if that is your first 'real' project... just trying to imagine what you'll be able to do in a year or two just boggles my mind!
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Sat May 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Amazing work. :o
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

clockit

Post by clockit » Sat May 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:Combine that wooden latch with magnets...

Also, if that is your first 'real' project... just trying to imagine what you'll be able to do in a year or two just boggles my mind!
I don't want to mislead anyone, but yeah, this in what I consider my first project. I have cut a couple of gears, but nothing that when into any project, mostly to check accuracy and trying to understand how to create pockets, or ingrave. I've cut a half dozen diamond/circle/square thingys and like previously mention I tried cutting some text in some scrap material and took the maiden voyage of cutting my own mounts and dust boot, but I don't really count them. It took be a long time to understand and be able to visualize removing material and creating new cuts at a starting point that was no longer zero, or, machining order for cutting stuff. Another thing I spent a lot of time was in designing parts relative to the bit I planned on using, understanding the level of detail that would be possible, etc. Everything else that I have cut in the box labled "future fire wood"...

One thing that did help me was the fact that I've been building wooden gear clocks now for 6 or 7 years, so, I was used to drawing parts, in 2D, printing them out on paper and cutting them with a scroll saw... I bought my first set of calipers in January, digital of course. Another thing that was helpful is that I'm a retired single man so I can spend as much time in the shop as I please. That little plate inside the box, I probably cut 15 or so of them, experimenting with fonts and depth of cut on different materials, what a pain, some fonts work better than others as you probably already know, you're clipping right along and its looking good and then you see when it's done that you blew out all of the inside pieces of your a's, b's, e's, etc, or your kerning was too close, etc...

I got my S2 in late November, spent a weekend building it, another month correcting and adjusting my machine and trying to learn this new software. Downloaded probably every free CAD and CAM app out there until I found something that I could understand and start actually working with. Of course I thought I was pretty cool and I would start with some really intricate 3D cutting but found out I'm a long ways from doing any real complicated machining.

but this is my first project that I have built where I created a finished product, where I started with a vision of an end product and was able to actually create all of the individual peices to complete that vision, and it didn't end up in a box with a funny label on it... :D