My rubberband gun project.

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
edwardrford

Re: My rubberband gun project.

Post by edwardrford » Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Had to share this on twitter - https://twitter.com/shapeoko/status/595315177613955073

Awesome work!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon May 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Right... so... amazing project.
Ghaw, too many questions...
I'd like to ask about how you finished it. What did you use for stains? Or is it just an oil?
Did you stain, then glue, or glue then stain?
Is the glue the only thing holding the hinges in place?
For the front logo, is that all one piece?
Did you spray black then sand?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Defy

Post by Defy » Mon May 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Cool! So what CAM/CAD tools did you decide on?

clockit

Post by clockit » Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Edward, thank you, I'm honored to have my project make your twitter page!

Defy, I think I've finally settled on Inkscape, I seem to get along with it better than other...

Meanderbolt, first off, thank you. As far as stains and finishes, I use Varathane products, available at your local Menards. For stain I used Light Oak and finish I use their water based semi gloss and apply it with my airbrush, it allows me to get into the tight spots with out having globs. As far as the order I finish, it depends. on the gun I stained all the parts first, then glued them together, then applied finish. I use the same glue for this that I do for my clocks and even if you immediately wipe any excess glue off it effects the stain but it holds great. However, on the slides I painted before I stained and finished and the sanding effected some of the detail, so, on the litle name plaque inside the box I actually stained and finished the top of the piece BEFORE I CNC'ed, then the grain was sealed and color applied so I painted the engraving and wiped off the excess with a damp cloth and then added one more coat of poly. I will it that way from now on if possible, it worked really good.

The hinges have a couple of small brads in each piece in addition to the glue. The only reason I did use the brads was to ensure that nothing moved before the glue had a chance to set.

The logo on top is all one piece. It actually had an additional layer to it, another outline below the black. The original plan was to paint the outline below the bird maroon, as well as the top of the letters in the name, and then the bottom layer would be black. However, it looked to bulky with the additional layer so I took her to my scroll saw and cut the bottom layer off.

Also, the plaque on the inside is covering a hidden stash compartment. The plaque is held securely in place by 4 very strong rare earth magnets. The original plan was to stash the targets I made for him in there. and some rubberbands. but, there wasn't enough room. So now he can hide a $100 bill from his wife in there. The magnets are strong enough that it take some effort to open it, you would think it was glued.
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Wed May 06, 2015 2:47 am

What a beautiful project. Thanks for sharing all the details.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

ZorAxe

Post by ZorAxe » Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Lets see it shoot :D
DIY CNC Router under construction | NEMA 17 92 oz-in | Arduino UNO + CNC Shield | StepStcik A4899 Drivers | GRBL 0.9i

James RS

Post by James RS » Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 pm

TomO wrote:I like it even more now that I have read the story behind it. My guess is your friend is going to be blown away by this gift.

How do your hinges work - do they have a metal rod holding the 2 parts together?

Also here is a possible option for a latch - I like the simple design & once it's unlatched then it would act as a handle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430586934.639059.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you by chance see this gentlemans video on hinges and a latch?
https://youtu.be/3foxwJQRd60

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Tue May 12, 2015 12:13 am

Amazing work .. Thanks for sharing .. am inspired now in these rubber band guns
Shapeoko 2 full kit # unknown .. Makita compact router .. ACME Z axis upgrade kit

TomO

Post by TomO » Tue May 12, 2015 12:59 am

James RS wrote:
TomO wrote:I like it even more now that I have read the story behind it. My guess is your friend is going to be blown away by this gift.

How do your hinges work - do they have a metal rod holding the 2 parts together?

Also here is a possible option for a latch - I like the simple design & once it's unlatched then it would act as a handle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430586934.639059.jpg

Did you by chance see this gentlemans video on hinges and a latch?
https://youtu.be/3foxwJQRd60
I didn't see that one. That was a very informative video - thank you for sharing.

clockit

Post by clockit » Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 am

ZorAxe wrote:Lets see it shoot :D
as soon as I can figure out how to upload video I will. One of the coolest features of this gun is the fact that it is semi-auto, 8 pulls of the trigger, 8 individual shots...

JamesRS, thanks for sharing the video on hinges! quite informational...
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive