Eight Sided Wooden Bracelets

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
bharbour

Eight Sided Wooden Bracelets

Post by bharbour » Fri May 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Eight sided wooden bracelets cut out on my SO2. Red bracelet is maple with scartlet oil based artist paint. Bracelet dimensions 3.25 OD and 2.67" ID.

No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

MeanderBolt

Re: Eight Sided Wooden Bracelets

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon May 18, 2015 7:14 pm

But how the he???
Did you cut each segment and assemble, or mill out a octagon and route with a roundover?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

TomO

Post by TomO » Mon May 18, 2015 7:17 pm

My guess - there was a flip involved. Can you explain your process - maybe a video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clockit

Post by clockit » Mon May 18, 2015 7:33 pm

yeah, inquiring minds want to know, lol... I'm betting a jig and a flip as well... but must say, I really love the bracelet, my 25 year old daughter would go ga ga over it. it makes me the 'good guy' when I build something for her in my workshop, lol...
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Tue May 19, 2015 2:26 pm

I wish it were that complicated but it's not. I cut the pattern out with the SO2 (no rounding), then took it over to my oscillating spindle sander, and belt sander to complete. The rounded outside edges were done with the belt sander. I haven't yet installed homing switches so I haven't tried flipping the work. IMHO...in a production environment it would probably make sense to cut the parts out with the CNC, then finish on the belt sander and OSS.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

clockit

Post by clockit » Tue May 19, 2015 10:36 pm

I have a belt sander built into my vertical sander, me and that thing don't get along very well, I have stuff flying all over the shop, lol.

At times I make fake nuts and bolts for my clocks to cover up screws used to secure the frame or attach to the wall. So I tried sanding them but that was too tedious for me so I made me a little router table, 12" x 12" in size, to use with my dremel. I made me a little jig to hold the parts and I run the nuts, top/bottom, and inside hole, as well as the top to the bolt around a dremel round over bit. it's quick, easy to do, and they all look the same. My lack of woodworking ability, or maybe I'm just too 'rammy jammy' almost require me to find a mechanical way to do something like that, lol...
wooden nut.jpg
wooden nut.jpg (99.53 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue May 19, 2015 11:41 pm

I think the nut looks fine. Not many people would be able to tell that it is not a real nut. In woodworking, there is never just one way to do a particular task. You have to do it with tools you have and the time you can afford. You only have to please yourself (and your significant other). Now you have a CNC machine to them them on, would they be different or better? Probably not, they would just be quicker to make, after the first one. Do you have a web site with photos of your clocks? I would like to see some of the finished ones.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

clockit

Post by clockit » Wed May 20, 2015 1:08 am

Woodworker wrote: Do you have a web site with photos of your clocks? I would like to see some of the finished ones.
I don't, my daugther thinks I need to start a blog but I'm just not the blogging type... however, if you want to email at rkueffer at teambighouse dot com I'd be happy to email you several. Posting them here in the appropriate size to see detail makes them just too big...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 am

The way to work around the width issue of detailed photographs here in the Forums is to:

- get a wiki account
- post photographs there
- link to a reduced-size thumbnail from the wiki
- include a link to the file page on the wiki --- people can then go there and see all the details.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

clockit

Post by clockit » Wed May 20, 2015 1:57 am

WillAdams wrote:The way to work around the width issue of detailed photographs here in the Forums is to:

- get a wiki account
but to get one you have to give me one, right?