GoPro External Battery Pack

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Damin69

GoPro External Battery Pack

Post by Damin69 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:27 pm

So I picked up a gopro to do a bit of MotoVlogging and to Vlogging with the CNC and such. Being small and tons of mounting options as well as the wide angle really make this camera very versatile. But on the down side for doing long videos the battery life is quite short. But then again this can be said about most hand held digital camcorders. What is nice is that you can charge and use the gopro at the same time. I still wanted to be portable but have extra life. Well you can buy a GOPRO backpack for about $50 bucks that is pretty steep for price. I have a few of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EK6 ... ge_o09_s00 Powerbot 2600mah external usb charger/flashlights $6.99 SHIPPED..... all I needed to do was come up with a mount to attach to my gopro mounting system. Now seem pretty much most of the gopro mounting brackets seem to have the same dimensions so this is perfect only need to make one bracket and it should be able to be used on any of the gopro mounts I have. So I proceeded to CADD up a design I had in my head very similar to what I had used on my Stereo View Twin Rig for holding the battery pack.
This is what I cam up with. I am going to test this out today. see how I like it then maybe refine it from there. Right now this is my Prototype.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

TomDChi

Re: GoPro External Battery Pack

Post by TomDChi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:10 am

Looks good - but also, thanks for the tip on these led flashlight+USB battery doodads! I have a gizmo that you can attach to a RC LiPo battery that will display cell voltages and output 5v on USB, but these look a lot more convenient. One site I just found on line rates a GoPro as drawing about 3 watts while recording. If that stands up at 5v from USB, then that's 0.6 Amps. If you derate the 2.6 Amp*hour battery to 80%, then that's 2.08 amp*hours divided by 0.6 amps, giving you about 3.46 hours, which is pretty impressive.

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:36 am

Here are a couple of pictures of battery pack mount on my helmet.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Damin69's Build Log

spaceman11

Post by spaceman11 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:51 am

I bought a Vega X888 and I want to use this set up on my Helmet. Thanks For the Idea..This Helmet saved my life today. I had a car hit me on my bike. After being catapulted off my bike, I landed Head first on the concrete...Lived to tell about it with just a broken arm. Had I not been wearing a helmet, I very well may have been killed. this is the reason I wanna put a Cam on it.

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:01 am

Wow glad you are safe. Could have been worse but I do not want to be in an accident either. The more and more I drive in traffic I have also gone to putting my gopro in my truck when I am driving to work also as a Dash cam. I captured a car almost sideswiping a co worker one day on the way home from work.

On my helmet now this is basically what I run. Since I have a 1.5 hour each way run to work I have to record over 3 hours. So I plug in to a 5800mah pack that way I never have to change batteries. I would use 3 batteries on the go pro otherwise.

Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Damin69's Build Log