My first cuts. (Letters for wall)

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
rcpongo

My first cuts. (Letters for wall)

Post by rcpongo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Here is my first project, keeping my daughter happy. These are cut out of foam because I figured it would be a nice material to do my initial tests on, with less worries about things like being too aggressive and breaking a bit.
1.jpg
My very first cut. Went way too slow with my settings, but it came out great.
1.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
2.jpg
By the 3rd letter I had my speeds down. And check out that depth!
2.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
3.jpg
Reverse side showing how thin.
3.jpg (59.28 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

rcpongo

Re: My first cuts. (Letters for wall)

Post by rcpongo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:48 pm

The final results.
4.jpg
All the letters
4.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
5.jpg
First coat of paint
5.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Very nice looking and a great way to learn.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Those look great!

Wondering if you could use the foam to dip them a little bit in paint an transfer the shape onto a wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcpongo

Post by rcpongo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:39 pm

This is actually a dense hard foam, not a soft sponge foam, so I'm not sure how well it would work for that.

It's been a great material for cutting though. The details are incredibly sharp, and it cuts very quickly.

sraney

Post by sraney » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:03 am

Looks nice. I have someone asking me to do something similar with a bit more detail across the Z axis. Could you elaborate on the foam, bit, and feeds and speeds you used for that foam?
rcpongo wrote:Here is my first project, keeping my daughter happy. These are cut out of foam because I figured it would be a nice material to do my initial tests on, with less worries about things like being too aggressive and breaking a bit.
-- sraney
---------------------------------------
  • break nothing but silence
  • take nothing but pictures
  • leave nothing but footprints

rcpongo

Post by rcpongo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:44 am

still working on what speeds I can use. I had no problems at all with 650 for the speed and 5mm depth per pass though. I had my dw611 set around 3 for the speed.

the foam is an insulation board that can be found at a hardware store. I get the blue stuff at Lowes, and Home Depot and Menards has the same thing in Pink. You can get it in different thicknesses, 1 inch, 2 inch,...I think there might be a 3/4 inch. Anyways, it's about $20-30 for a 4 foot x 8 foot sheet, so it lasts a long time. I use it to cut wings for RC planes, and now with the shapeoko I hope to cut some wings and fuselages from it soon.

sraney

Post by sraney » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:37 am

Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if I can locate some at the Lowes next door.
rcpongo wrote:still working on what speeds I can use. I had no problems at all with 650 for the speed and 5mm depth per pass though. I had my dw611 set around 3 for the speed.

the foam is an insulation board that can be found at a hardware store. I get the blue stuff at Lowes, and Home Depot and Menards has the same thing in Pink. You can get it in different thicknesses, 1 inch, 2 inch,...I think there might be a 3/4 inch. Anyways, it's about $20-30 for a 4 foot x 8 foot sheet, so it lasts a long time. I use it to cut wings for RC planes, and now with the shapeoko I hope to cut some wings and fuselages from it soon.
-- sraney
---------------------------------------
  • break nothing but silence
  • take nothing but pictures
  • leave nothing but footprints