Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Post Reply
Improbable Construct
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 am
Location: Fairhope, AL
Contact:

Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:33 am

I was down the rabbit hole the other night and saw someone was using craft foam instead of brush strips for their dust shoe.
I am having some problems with the brushes being too stiff to let the bit plunge properly. Once the spindle gets going on the X or Y axis the brush relaxes and drags along fine, but going straight down it tends to have too much resistance.
So I thought I would try some craft foam. It is harder to mill than I thought it would be. It starts to come loose as you cut it and the fingers fly around and get pulled into the bit randomly.
ShapeOko 094 (Large).jpg
ShapeOko 094 (Large).jpg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
My first two attempts were not so great. (The ones at the top)
ShapeOko 095 (Large).jpg
ShapeOko 095 (Large).jpg (119.98 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
The next two attempts went better but still had a couple of places where the foam got caught in the bit.
ShapeOko 096 (Large).jpg
ShapeOko 096 (Large).jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
The third attempt was with the vacuum off and the fourth was with the vacuum on.

I think I need to figure out a better way to hold the craft foam down. I am thinking that maybe I can find some non permanent spray glue. Maybe something like the sticky stuff on post it notes.

Anybody have any better ideas?
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

DanMc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:34 am

Re: Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by DanMc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:24 am

Spray glue is not a bad idea, people often use double-stick tape for hand routers.

3M's Spray Mount is marketed to artists and allows some unsticking. I think for the short period of time you have the foam glued down it wouldn't bond too severely, I guess the question is would it bond enough?

marcohess
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:41 am
Location: Adelaide - South Australia

Re: Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by marcohess » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:09 am

How about leaving a strip attached so the cuts are only slots and the fingers don't come loose.

Then after the machining trim of the edge off with a knife or scissors to free the fingers?
ShapeOko #290

Improbable Construct
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 am
Location: Fairhope, AL
Contact:

Re: Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by Improbable Construct » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 am

marcohess wrote:How about leaving a strip attached so the cuts are only slots and the fingers don't come loose.

Then after the machining trim of the edge off with a knife or scissors to free the fingers?
That may be a good solution! I will give it a try. The nice thing about craft foam is that it is unbelievably inexpensive!
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Helmi
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by Helmi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:17 am

Hey gus,

sorry for pulling that old thread out of the deep but i'm thinking of using craft foam for the dust shoe too so i digged around a bit and found that.

First thing i thought is: Why the hell did you use your cnc to cut the foam? This should be a easy job for a cutting knife and a ruler? but apart from that - how is your experience so far with the foam? Are you still using it?

What thickness have you used? thinking about using 2 or 3mm thick foam and probabl two layers of it around my dust shoe... what do you think?

Frank

Improbable Construct
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 am
Location: Fairhope, AL
Contact:

Re: Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by Improbable Construct » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Helmi wrote:Hey gus,
First thing i thought is: Why the hell did you use your cnc to cut the foam? This should be a easy job for a cutting knife and a ruler? but apart from that - how is your experience so far with the foam? Are you still using it?
Um isn't it obvious? I have a CNC machine! I use it to cut everything!
Helmi wrote: What thickness have you used? thinking about using 2 or 3mm thick foam and probabl two layers of it around my dust shoe... what do you think?
Frank
I dont remember if I bought the 2 mm or the 3mm. I never got around to actually mounting any of it on my dust shoe for various reasons, but I am making a whole new setup next week so I will give the craft foam a try.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

LTMNO
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 am

Re: Craft Foam Brushes for Dust Shoe

Post by LTMNO » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm

I think the foam is great... i am going to try to use my laser to cut the foam and see how that pans out....
little old post.. but its still up so, i will comment ;-)

Also, i was going to try to mill out the dust shoe as well with my DW660 but i don't have a spindle controller to reduce the 30K RPM.
So, what i have decided to do is laser cut 3x 1/8 Plexi pieces that make up the original 3/8 piece to mill.
1 of the pieces i will cut the holes for magnets all the way thru.
Just coverting the DWG to laser cuttable files now.

Cheers!

Pino.
Improbable Construct wrote:I was down the rabbit hole the other night and saw someone was using craft foam instead of brush strips for their dust shoe.
I am having some problems with the brushes being too stiff to let the bit plunge properly. Once the spindle gets going on the X or Y axis the brush relaxes and drags along fine, but going straight down it tends to have too much resistance.
So I thought I would try some craft foam. It is harder to mill than I thought it would be. It starts to come loose as you cut it and the fingers fly around and get pulled into the bit randomly.
ShapeOko 094 (Large).jpg
My first two attempts were not so great. (The ones at the top)
ShapeOko 095 (Large).jpg
The next two attempts went better but still had a couple of places where the foam got caught in the bit.
ShapeOko 096 (Large).jpg
The third attempt was with the vacuum off and the fourth was with the vacuum on.

I think I need to figure out a better way to hold the craft foam down. I am thinking that maybe I can find some non permanent spray glue. Maybe something like the sticky stuff on post it notes.

Anybody have any better ideas?
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

Post Reply