Waste Board & Vacuum Mount

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
BuildMaster

Waste Board & Vacuum Mount

Post by BuildMaster » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:50 pm

New to the forums, I wanted to share my first two projects.

1, I did a standard waste board drilling for 1/4x20 insets, what are peoples thoughts on gluing them in place?

2, Second is my take on a shop vac mount, I was trying to reduce the footprint (I have some designs on further reduction). Some of my pieces need a tolerance tweak or two but other then that very effective so far.
Attachments
IMG_8985 (2).JPG
Waste Board drill down.
IMG_8985 (2).JPG (119.11 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
IMG_8990 (2).JPG
Just assembled vacuum mount.
IMG_8990 (2).JPG (104.35 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
IMG_9008 (2).JPG
Cut out brush plate.
IMG_9008 (2).JPG (92.72 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
Modified G-Max 3D Printer
Shapeoko 3 - Soon to be Frankenoko 3.1
Fusion 360 - AuotoCAD
To many toys! To little time!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Waste Board & Vacuum Mount

Post by WillAdams » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:55 pm

BuildMaster wrote: 1, I did a standard waste board drilling for 1/4x20 insets, what are peoples thoughts on gluing them in place?
That's a good point. It was one of the things which led me to adding a wasteboard on top of my MDF --- that way the T-nuts are trapped in-between the two parts.

I can understand wanting something beyond the prongs to hold the T-nuts in place --- my concern w/ glue would be messing up the threads w/ gunk.
2, Second is my take on a shop vac mount, I was trying to reduce the footprint (I have some designs on further reduction). Some of my pieces need a tolerance tweak or two but other then that very effective so far.
Fancy! Nicely addresses a problem I had where I got a chunk of debris stuck in my vacuum hose and was mystified by the loss of suction.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

BuildMaster

Post by BuildMaster » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:14 pm

I can't afford the loss in Z with added waste board height, right now I'm modeling a taller gantry w/ extruded rail from MISUMI USA.
Attachments
Shapeoko3 Redesign (2).jpg
Shapeoko3 Redesign (2).jpg (406.33 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Modified G-Max 3D Printer
Shapeoko 3 - Soon to be Frankenoko 3.1
Fusion 360 - AuotoCAD
To many toys! To little time!

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Nitpicking: the gantry is what rides on the assembly you drew; that is, the X rail and the Y carriages make up the gantry. A gantry is a bridge-like structure that goes across the machine and above the work (although not necessarily moveable -- the bed could move in the Y direction instead, like the ORD Bot, for instance).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

jbc

Post by jbc » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Could you drop the level of the bed by adding some feet (feet height=MDF thickness) to the machine?
Bolt in place and giddy up.

jbc
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup
http://www.CaffeineMachine.com

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Gluing insets...
No!

You either have holes that are tight enough that the insets sits solidly, or you get a new wasteboard.
Not only will gluing them make it a real pain to reuse them when the current wasteboard is ready to be replaced, but glue tends to get where isn't wanted, such as the 'inside' threads of the insets.

You're using the SO3 to drill the holes. Which is a nice demonstration of what it can do. But all your holes is now 'inside' the working area only.
You may want to add a few holes outside that area, too.

Your vac mount looks... inspired. :-)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:58 pm

WillAdams wrote:I can understand wanting something beyond the prongs to hold the T-nuts in place --- my concern w/ glue would be messing up the threads w/ gunk.
Came across an approach to avoid that, but not finding the link at the moment. :(

The concept was really simple. Put sticky/masking tape over the end of the hole that's being inserted. Stops glue from getting into the hole as it's inserted.

This was from a woodworking guy that sounded like he's been doing it successfully for years (if that helps). :)
Shapeoko 3 #516