1/4" Threaded Insert Countersink Holes

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
MidCitySlim

1/4" Threaded Insert Countersink Holes

Post by MidCitySlim » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Why manually drill countersink holes for your threaded inserts, when you can have the Shapeoko do it for you!
CAD Threaded.jpg
CAD Threaded.jpg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Simply zero the SO3 where you want the threaded insert, and press start! The inserts sit about 1/64" below the surface, so adjust your zero as you wish.
Threaded Insert Hole.nc
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Here's the link to Amazon for the inserts:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KT ... ge_o04_s00

xfredericox

Re: 1/4" Threaded Insert Countersink Holes

Post by xfredericox » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:35 pm

you don't even need to make the countersink. Just the hole and a powerfull drill is enough to let it countersink itself.

the reason I didn't do it this way is the SO cannot reach the whole wasteboard. And tbh it is much faster done manually.
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:14 pm

xfredericox wrote:the reason I didn't do it this way is the SO cannot reach the whole wasteboard.
That's a valid reason. There are ways around it, but it may not be worth it, especially if you have a drill press.
xfredericox wrote:And tbh it is much faster done manually.
That may not actually be true. Have you seen a Shapeoko going at it with a 1/4" endmill? In the time it takes you to measure, mark, maybe center-punch, and then drill, I'm sure the Shapeoko can pocket that tiny hole in MDF.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Another thing to keep in mind: Those types of inserts are often slightly conical in shape. If that's true of your inserts, then you'll also want to make the hole conical instead of perfectly cylindrical. The shaft of most inserts of that style are usually more narrow near the bottom and slightly wider near the top. The problem is, if you try to drive them into a perfectly cylindrical hole, the bottom threads will tend to be too far away from the side of the hole to get a good grip and they'll just churn the wood and chew it up, reducing the holding power of the insert.

This is the profile of the holes I milled on my wasteboard to accept M6 inserts.

by xfredericox » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:35 pm

you don't even need to make the countersink. Just the hole and a powerfull drill is enough to let it countersink itself.

the reason I didn't do it this way is the SO cannot reach the whole wasteboard. And tbh it is much faster done manually.
They're hardened steel, so you don't want them poking up where a bit might catch. Even if you only insert them off to the sides where the spindle can't reach, you don't want them poking up because it generates an uneven surface. If you try to drive them flush to the board without pre-drilling a countersink, then you're going to push wood out of the way and possibly crack it, or possibly create a bulge. There's just no good reason not to add a countersink.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

xfredericox

Post by xfredericox » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:45 am

well i have about 80 inserts in my 1000x1000 SO2 and they are all flush with no problems at all. MDF can easily handle a bit of compression. Note that they are M8, so much bigger countersinks to begin with.

I literally stood on my wasteboard with my manual drill and just went at it :D

they may not be 100% aligned down to the millimeter, but it is just a fixturing feature, doesn't need to be perfect.

4 minutes work tops. Pretty sure a cnc can't match that hehe.
Although i do understand the notion of doing stuff with the cnc even if it is not 100% necessary. It is just mesmerizing to see it at work. Especially when you just got into the hobby!
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:42 am

The inserts I used doesn't even have a flange or whatever that needs countersinking.
Also, I mounted them from the underside...
(They're about .5" long, and when mounted flush with the underside of 22mm Plywood, there's quite a bit of 'accident space' available for me to cut into without destroying an endmill)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:28 pm

While a bit more expensive, #6-32 brass threaded inserts are what I'm considering for next time.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

D@DENNIS.COM

Post by D@DENNIS.COM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Your code for the holes is exactly what I need. I can only import into Mach3, then save back as a NC file (don't know why) so I cannot open your code file. Any work around? I don't have a Cad/Cam program yet. Just got my Shapeoko

Thank you.

Dennis Kane

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:50 pm

The .nc file should be G-code, which is plain text, and which may be sent directly to your machine.

Please see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

That's technically a counterbore. And i use my machine to counterbore many of the parts i make with no concern.

Countersinks are conical, counterbores are cylindrical, counter drills are both.