made a plug/mold for a fiberglass enclosure

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
JeromyReno

made a plug/mold for a fiberglass enclosure

Post by JeromyReno » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:09 pm

made a plug out of polypro plastic, I'm pretty sure it's just polypropylene, it has all the same characteristics.
1/4 ball end mill. the settings changed for every cut, from 50 ipm .2 depth of cut roughing to 110 ipm .01 depth of cut clean up passes.

I'll be laying up fiberglass parts directly off of it's outer shape. I might use it later on to make molds if I make more than a few of these parts. I wish I had this option back when I made these every day and spent hours shaping plugs out of particle board and bondo.

it will be part of a dust boot I am making.

PollyMotion

Re: made a plug/mold for a fiberglass enclosure

Post by PollyMotion » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 am

Looks very nice. The "curve" on the edges looks very smooth. Is this straight-out-of-the-mill, or have you done any sanding/polishing on it afterwards?

-- PollyMotion

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

PollyMotion wrote:Looks very nice. The "curve" on the edges looks very smooth. Is this straight-out-of-the-mill, or have you done any sanding/polishing on it afterwards?

-- PollyMotion
this is how it looked straight out of the machine. on all the corners I did a roughing pass then a clean up pass. with a large ball end mill and tiny steps it can really get a good smooth corner. I planned on polishing it when I set out to make it but im pretty sure it's going to be good enough as is.

clynad

Post by clynad » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:14 pm

@JeromyReno
mold making (on a larger scale) is what really got me interested in diy cncs, is there a reason you didn't just cut a female mold to layup with fiberglass??

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:39 pm

clynad wrote:@JeromyReno
mold making (on a larger scale) is what really got me interested in diy cncs, is there a reason you didn't just cut a female mold to layup with fiberglass??

hey clynad, yeah I went with a male mold so I could retain a nice tight tolerance on the inside where a mounting plate would be installed. the magnets are used to hold this enclosure to a plate on the spindle. I am about to start cutting a second revision of this, I had some new better ideas after finishing this one. I am also about to start cutting some female molds to make a headlight for a motorcycle I am building.

clynad

Post by clynad » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:43 pm

i understand the interior dimensions were the ones that needed to line up. That is beautiful, really helps me appreciate how accurately these machines take a 3d concept and make it reality.

Did you need to do any sanding on the surface of the piece after the shapeoko was finished.

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:00 pm

clynad wrote:i understand the interior dimensions were the ones that needed to line up. That is beautiful, really helps me appreciate how accurately these machines take a 3d concept and make it reality.

Did you need to do any sanding on the surface of the piece after the shapeoko was finished.
nope none at all. I didn't even use mold release wax or mold release agents. just laid up on it right after it came out of the machine. I just finished the next one and tried to sand and flame polish with a torch but it didn't come out as well as I would have liked. next time I'll just stick to the machine finish.

yeah I with I had a machine like this when I made molds for a living.