Finishing some engraved coasters

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
chomdh

Finishing some engraved coasters

Post by chomdh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello,
I've been working on some engraved coasters that I want to give to friends and family (so they need to look nice). I haven't finished any of my projects before and am looking for some good advice on what type of paints and stains to use.
They are made from oak and I used a v bit to engrave the letters. I'd like to fill the letters in black with a stain on the rest of the coaster. I'm looking for tips on what is the proper order of operation as well.

Yesterday I used some black latex paint to fill in the engraving on a test piece. Even after quite a bit of work to the top surface with my orbital sander, I could still see many spots where the black paint bled into the grain rather than staying in the grooves. This was using a piece of poplar.

My plan today is to :

1) stain the whole coaster first, or at least the letters
2) fill in the letters with the black latex (I am hoping the stain 1st helps prevent bleeding)
3) sand top surface
4) finish stain
5) polyurethane top coat (I have some water based on hand, and read this is OK to go on top of an oil based stain).

Let me know if I need to do anything differently!

Thanks.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

LTEPM

Re: Finishing some engraved coasters

Post by LTEPM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:44 pm

Red oak has a very open cell structure so you will need to take additional steps to keep the paint from traveling outside of your carved area. I recommend staining and finishing the coasters first, then use an acrylic paint or tinted epoxy to fill and finish coat with oil based polyurethane.

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Chomdh,
Try Staining and poly the whole thing. Then paint the low spots black. What you really need is to seal the low area before you paint it. Now if you're like me your painting techniques is more bull than sniper. In that case plan on sanding and re finishing the high areas after you paint :)

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:56 am

Thanks for the tips. Like I said I'm trying to improve my finishing techniques. My list above was utilizing stuff I already have on hand.
I'm reading that an oil based poly will give better results over an oil based stain so I'll probably go pick some up.
As for the black paint in my engravings, I'll do my best to color within the lines but I agree I will plan on some sanding afterwards.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:29 am

I have found that covering the whole (finished) engraved part with Shellac then waxing it works well as a way to stop whatever you fill the engraving with from soaking into the wrong places.
I use a 'sanding sealer' which is a mix of shellac and some other things, but the important bit is the shellac. A couple of coats of this followed by some paste wax, buffed up nice and shiny, will allow you to (messily) fill the grooves with some sort of water based acrylic paint, to your colour choice. Use a non-abrasive straight edge (like a plastic ruler) to remove as much acrylic paint from the flat surface and allow the rest to dry. Then once the acrylic has dried fully, you can use a bit more paste wax to buff off the remaining dry acrylic.
It takes a bit of elbow grease, but comes up nicely!
68 V-Carving.jpg
Acrylic filled oak cutting board
68 V-Carving.jpg (458.15 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Nice!

\begin{typographicrant}

Please use a proper apostrophe, a curly one, rather than the typewriter stick/unidirectional single quote.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Characters

\end{typographicrant}

We now return to our normal friendly CNC discussion.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:35 am

Trust me to show that one to Will again! (He mentioned the same typographical issues last time I showed that picture)
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:54 pm

turned out beautiful

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:56 pm

And now you know why I try to transcribe everything into the wiki --- uncertain organic memory --- I'd totally blanked on your having posted that previously and apologize for the redundant correction.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:21 pm

I picked up some sanding sealer and will give this a try tonight. Thanks for the advice RobCee!
Last edited by chomdh on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko2 #3702: